Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Squats and Deadlifts

When you're doing reps, reset after each rep. This will solve your problem with grip. I hope you're not one of those guys who bounces the bar and keeps repping out...ugh.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i highly doubt you will come across a situation during normal life where the limiting factor is grip i fyou can deadlift over 225 (random number than would take a bit of training to achieve)..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the exact opposite is true, I find that in real-world strength scenarios my grip and finger strength usually fails before anything else. Any time I try to lift something heavy and awkward it's always hand/grip that fails way before my ability to just lift the weight.

In fact I would say one of the biggest differences between the average powerlifter and a World's Strongest Man type of guy is grip strength.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Grip strength is good in everything from lifting up unbalanced loads to shooting to martial arts to golf and tennis. Since you use your hands for everything, it's pretty versatile. You can also train it extremely quickly, as in, a month or two of serious training will provide an absolutely drastic increase in strength. For the tiny investment in working grip strength, you get a big enough pay-off that you really might as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 PM

I assume most of you already use a reverse grip (one hand supinated, one hand pronated) while deadlifting. For any that do not, this hand position will greatly increase grip while deadlifting.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume most of you already use a reverse grip (one hand supinated, one hand pronated) while deadlifting. For any that do not, this hand position will greatly increase grip while deadlifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you say some more about this? I've always done dual-overhand grips. When you use the reverse grip, what's the best way to do it?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM

not much to say about it...you can do either hand either way..I usually alternate. also, ur dual overhand is very hard on grip..i think people train for grip strength by doing that type of deadlift

-Mike
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM

yeah, i do double overhand as heavy as i can then i switch to an over/under...just remember to keep your arms straight and dont allow yourself to bend your elbow when starting the lift...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 PM

I always over/under unless doing a DL variant that I can use overhand for the whole thing.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 PM

he's back!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not much to say about it...you can do either hand either way..I usually alternate. also, ur dual overhand is very hard on grip..i think people train for grip strength by doing that type of deadlift

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
just to be clear, you shouldn't ever have both palms facing away from you. One or the other, or neither. Not sure that the above was clear to someone who doesn't know and I didn't want anyone to pull a muscle doing that.