Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 AM

Default $5,000 WSOP WC No Limit 2-7 Lowball w/rebuys Final Hand

Friday, 06th of July 2007 02:00 AM
(Justin West reporting)

Chad Brown raised to 250,000 from the button. By this point, Erik Seidel had actually taken the lead, and he just called the 250k. Seidel took two cards, and Brown took only one. Seidel bet out for 250,000, and Chad moved all-in for 600,000. Seidel called.

Chad Brown: 9-7-5-3-2
Erik Seidel: 8-7-6-5-3

Seidel wins! Erik Seidel wins his 8th World Series of Poker bracelet, and $538,835. He's now just two behind Doyle Brunson and Johnny Chan, and only 3 away from Phil!

The copyright for the above belongs to Justin West and the quotation (not quote, I am British you see and that is the way we say it) is from www.pokerpages.com.

Phew! I just wanted to get the legalities out of the way.

Anyway, Chad Brown's play is obviously awful. Seidel is either bluffing or has made a hand, either way there is nothing to be gained from going all in.

At first glance, it just looks like a donk play but I am wondering if the 'who gives a ****, I am not going to win, I am too far behind, let it be this hand or nothing' feeling came over him.

I am, of course, assuming it was a moment of pyschological weakness as a donk could not have got to second place, but who knows?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: $5,000 WSOP WC No Limit 2-7 Lowball w/rebuys Final Hand

It's hard for me to call Brown a donk. On the one hand, he hit a 97 against a 2-card draw, on the other, although 9s are notorious for getting players broke, maybe he thought he had Seidel trapped.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: $5,000 WSOP WC No Limit 2-7 Lowball w/rebuys Final Hand

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, Chad Brown's play is obviously awful. Seidel is either bluffing or has made a hand, either way there is nothing to be gained from going all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Seidel has an obvious check-call with any non-bluff hand worse than Chad's.