Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Phil Gordon sends his love

I just sweated Gordon a bit on Full Tilt in order to give him my opinions on the broadcast, what was good and what could be improved. Anyway, he asked me to send his love to the 2+2 forums.

Aw.

He also sends his thanks to everyone who donated to Put a Bad Beat on Cancer in return for him saying "Donkaments LOL."
Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon sends his love

Too funny. He is a nice guy in person.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM

I mentioned before. He gets respect +1 from me.

He really should from everybody else as well. Anybody who hates him (a lot) after this is just a hater.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mentioned before. He gets respect +1 from me.

He really should from everybody else as well. Anybody who hates him (a lot) after this is just a hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. He gets a disproportionate amount of hate on this board. He is about as nice as one can imagine if you meet him in person, not to mention the "Bad Beat on Cancer" charity work.

Meeting Phil at 2007 WSOP
Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just sweated Gordon a bit on Full Tilt in order to give him my opinions on the broadcast, what was good and what could be improved. Anyway, he asked me to send his love to the 2+2 forums.

Aw.

He also sends his thanks to everyone who donated to Put a Bad Beat on Cancer in return for him saying "Donkaments LOL."

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, when did he say that? I guess I have to donate now. And please tell me he put the LOL first. It makes no sense the other way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 AM

I don't know why everyone hates Phil.

I think he does an okay job as a commentator and would much rather hear him than some random ESPN shill.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM

If you want an example why, Gordon said that anybody who pushes 30+ BB as on open-raise is an 'idiot' (he was clearly referring to Rahme, who had just done so several times) and tried his hardest to get Bill Edler to call him an idiot too. Edler in his drunken state still declined to say something so unnecessarily nasty.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap, when did he say that? I guess I have to donate now. And please tell me he put the LOL first. It makes no sense the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did say "Donkaments" first, then threw in the "LOL" afterwards . I don't know the exact time (60-90? minutes before the end), but there are about 20 consecutive, no-content posts about it in the main event thread.

Anyway, i like the guy, too. Gordon's an excellent instructor for beginning players. He's is quite affable and has amazing patience for talking with fans. He's also self-deprecating and fully realizes that he's not an elite player...though like virtually all players (myself included) he's not as good as he thinks he is. He was open to my (constructive) criticisms about last night's broadcast.

Admittedly, i don't know him that well. I played with him for several hours in a 2006 WSoP Limit event, which was enjoyable. He did end up cashing for more money than me, the bastard.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 AM

He incorporated it into his analysis, saying something like "tonight at first seemed like more of a donkament...(LOL)...but the play has improved..." and his buddy, who by the way I thought was 1000x worse than Gordon, said "LOL donkaments" I think.