Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Ron Paul on Subprime

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand her questioning. She claimed that there was $2.3 trillion missing in FY99. The entire defense budget for FY99 was $270 billion. What does she mean that there was $2.3 trillion missing that year? The entire equipment inventory of the whole Department of Defense was estimated as $300 billion for FY06 (that's every plane, tank, ship, truck, etc.). How does the Pentagon in a single year lose 10x its budget and 10x the value of its entire equipment inventory? I'd like to see more detail as to what the heck she is talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you'd think it might be a priority, but obviously the big guys don't want anyone to know where the money went, otherwise there would at least be an effort to figure out what happened.

I think it's funny that the counterargument to the pentagon missing trillions is that hey, nothing is missing, shut up, don't ask questions, we're not gonna tell you, just shut up, we don't know where the money went so we don't know if it's missing or not, just shut up.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 PM

McKinney is a moron. The Defense Department is missing a total of about $2 trillion. It's not just for a single year; it's decades.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McKinney is a moron. The Defense Department is missing a total of about $2 trillion. It's not just for a single year; it's decades.

[/ QUOTE ]

so let me guess, next statement is that it is *good* that dod is missing the money?

what does name calling one of the only elected officials who has a problem with this do?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so let me guess, next statement is that it is *good* that dod is missing the money?

what does name calling one of the only elected officials who has a problem with this do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You said they lost this in the "late 90s"? If they lost every dollar from their 1995-1999 budgets, and misplaced every plane, tank, ship, truck in te entire military, it still wouldn't total $2.3 trillion.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said they lost this in the "late 90s"? If they lost every dollar from their 1995-1999 budgets, and misplaced every plane, tank, ship, truck in te entire military, it still wouldn't total $2.3 trillion.

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize the iraq war has already run over a trillion, right?
you realize the pentagon has contracts with corporations, right? do you think every dollar the pentagon gives haliburton results in a tank,truck, etc.?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize the iraq war has already run over a trillion, right?
you realize the pentagon has contracts with corporations, right? do you think every dollar the pentagon gives haliburton results in a tank,truck, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that the Pentagon lost the equivalent of over 2 Iraq wars worth of $ in the late 1990s?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that the Pentagon lost the equivalent of over 2 Iraq wars worth of $ in the late 1990s?

[/ QUOTE ]

a) balance sheet assets don't tell the whole story.
b) I think the other poster said "decades", the hud scandal broke in late 1990's I think, why don't you look up how much $ hud "misplaced" and then come back and say that's more than all the cars and trucks that hud owns.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a) balance sheet assets don't tell the whole story.
b) I think the other poster said "decades", the hud scandal broke in late 1990's I think, why don't you look up how much $ hud "misplaced" and then come back and say that's more than all the cars and trucks that hud owns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to talk about HUD as I have no experience in HUD. You brought up the DoD losing trillions. I'd like to know how they managed to lose that much, that's all.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 AM

"unelected bureaucrats . . . have no self interested motivations at all, right?"

One would expect they'd be less "self interested" than elected politicians who have to justify themselves before their constituency in order to be reelected. I note that in Senator Craig's resignation speech he used the word "Idahoans" quite a few times. He got reelected as many times as he did not because he had less self interested motivations than unelected faceless bureaucrats, but rather because he had more.