Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Stewart Crushes McCain

[ QUOTE ]
Jon Stewart is every bit the political hack that Sean Hannity is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we being leveled lol?
cuz if not this is one of the dumbest posts ever.

And the conversation seemed incredibly cordial and lighthearted. McCain came off pretty well despite the terrible positions he has taken.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He really destroyed the guy tonight. Interview is on the website.

[/ QUOTE ]Destroyed him???? um....you know that it is one of the 2 fake news shows on at night (the other being Kieth Obermann's show) right???

I watched the discussion and it seemed a pretty harmless mix of discussion and humor except for when Stewart wasn't letting McCain speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except when McCain said one of the most cowardly, ridiculous things I've heard from him (I was a McCain fan until recently). Stewart was asking about timetables, metrics for judging progress, and so on, and McCain said something to the effect of "Sure, as long as you want to set a timetable on surrender." He proclaimed this, as if it was some winning salvo. What a chickenshit thing to say. As if just inserting the word surrender makes you the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! I will have to try that.

HEY THAT BULDING IS ON FIRE, SHOULD WE PUT SOME WATER ON IT?
Sure, as long as you want to surrender to flame!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, seriously, that was about how it came out. Of course, he is a presidential hopeful, so its not like I expected him to say anything substantive, but I was disappointed by this. I was of the (obviously naive) opinion that McCain was above tactics such as this.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jon Stewart is every bit the political hack that Sean Hannity is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we being leveled lol?
cuz if not this is one of the dumbest posts ever.

And the conversation seemed incredibly cordial and lighthearted. McCain came off pretty well despite the terrible positions he has taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

He came off well because that is the approach Stewart takes. He is very much the 'more flies with honey' advocate. He tried to get in his jabs, he talks over his guests, but he is also conciliatory and generally polite, and tries his level best to leave the interview on good terms. This makes both parties look good, and probably explains why Kerry, McCain and the rest of the upper-echelon political figures come on his show.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM

My point is simply I find the whole "it's a fake news show!" thing to be a bunch of BS.

It USED to be a fake news show, back in the day (Craig Kilborn) they would cover a wide variety of things, and politics was actually a very small piece of what they covered.

In the past 3-4 years Stewert has turned it into primarly a political discussion show.

I firmly believe he has an active agenda to push in the show, to further his own political beliefs and causes, beyond the whole "just being funny" thing.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is simply I find the whole "it's a fake news show!" thing to be a bunch of BS.

It USED to be a fake news show, back in the day (Craig Kilborn) they would cover a wide variety of things, and politics was actually a very small piece of what they covered.

In the past 3-4 years Stewert has turned it into primarly a political discussion show.

I firmly believe he has an active agenda to push in the show, to further his own political beliefs and causes, beyond the whole "just being funny" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it simply be that the current administration provides such a target rich environment?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stewart basically announced that, while he may *use* humor, he considers what he's doing serious business when he went on CNN Crossfire (but when it's convenient for him, he'll hide behind the fact that the show before his features puppets making prank phone calls).
Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM

Stewart is a hack and is completely unfunny. Its a shame, because the show started out so strong with Kilby on board. Fortunately, he is only on camera a fraction of the time, which leads to the correspondents actually being funny. He has been eclipsed by Colbert, who is pushing an agenda, does so in a hilarious way.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 PM

While Jon Stewart is certainly biased - and capable of hiding behind the logo of The Comedy Central if he needs to - I consider him an intelligent man who often makes very good points.

In terms of political stance, the democrats have Stewart/Colbert while the republicans have O'Reilly. They've been going on and off for a long time now. It's just too bad for republicans that O'Reilly seems to be losing.

This is coming from a Stewart fan, though, so I'm sure some will disagree with me here.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While Jon Stewart is certainly biased - and capable of hiding behind the logo of The Comedy Central if he needs to - I consider him an intelligent man who often makes very good points.

In terms of political stance, the democrats have Stewart/Colbert while the republicans have O'Reilly. They've been going on and off for a long time now. It's just too bad for republicans that O'Reilly seems to be losing.

This is coming from a Stewart fan, though, so I'm sure some will disagree with me here.

[/ QUOTE ]

O'Reilly is a populist, and isn't on a COMEDY show. There's a big difference. However, Hannity is a better reference point for Republicans.

Stewart is just full of himself and takes the show too seriously for it to be funny. He's not smart enough to host a true debate/news show, and isn't funny enough to host a comedy show.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Not trying to hijack this post and make it "Is Jon Stewart funny?", I would argue that he is funny because, as far as I know, as lot of people find him funny.