Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Why should I care about VT?

If you don't care, you don't care. For a lot of people, I suspect, it hits close to home in that they have or have had children away at college or have friends in the same situation, or are themselves college students. It's an everyday experience that many Americans have had and to think something so horific could happen is an attention getter.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why I should care about VT, or change the way I run my life. It's just some lone nut, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The importance of this is not the lost lives. In terms of deaths, it is nothing. It terms of deaths, I bet more Americans died elsewhere yesterday from violent means. The importance of this is the affect it has on the national psyche, parents, students, etc. Measured in terms of emotional damage, yesterday was unbelievably devastating.

[/ QUOTE ]

That damage you speak of was directly caused by the news media.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
com·pas·sion
n. Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you relieve death?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know better than that. If you're really not at all affected by the suffering of the innocent people at Va Tech then just say so, but there's no reason to be a sarcastic prick about it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why I should care about VT, or change the way I run my life. It's just some lone nut, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently an imported "lone nut" that didn't have to be here in the first place. Might want the review the government process for allowing potential "lone nuts" access to our society and what government is doing to prevent "lone nuts" from gaining access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if only government keeps doing more things and more things nothing bad will ever happen again...

[/ QUOTE ]

So nothing bad happens if government issues a visa to anyone who wants one, I see.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that you can not prevent bad things from happening. And steps taken to prevent things you can not prevent cause additional harm.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The importance of this is not the lost lives. In terms of deaths, it is nothing. It terms of deaths, I bet more Americans died elsewhere yesterday from violent means. The importance of this is the affect it has on the national psyche, parents, students, etc. Measured in terms of emotional damage, yesterday was unbelievably devastating.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it at all. The news media didn't shoot 32 people. And it would have been a violation of their job not to report on it. You know that, and as I just mentioned, you don't have to be such a prick about this situation.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
adios,

I see your stance will be "all foreigners are bad".

Soon this will turn into a discussion on tightening borders, its almost there now.

Im not really up to date on the news today. What, if anything, would these background checks have found on this Asian dude?

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I question the thoroughness of the process of how student visas are granted I'm necessarily stating that all foreigners are bad, I see.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that you state a lot of things, and then when people point out the irrationality of what you point out you get defensive rather than rationalizing what people are trying to point out to you.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it at all. The news media didn't shoot 32 people. And it would have been a violation of their job not to report on it. You know that, and as I just mentioned, you don't have to be such a prick about this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bzzzt. Wrong. The vast majority of

"the affect it has on the national psyche, parents, students, etc. Measured in terms of emotional damage, yesterday was unbelievably devastating"

was caused directly by the news media. they spread the story which made people aware of it. they spread the fear into americans homes.

one guy killed some people and that act devistates dozens/hundreds of lives of the victims family and friends.

the media spead the fear to millions, we would not have heard about it (and therefore would not have been impacted in the ways listed) if they did not.

Simple really. This is the reason I stopped watching the news many years ago. They spread fear and negativity.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
com·pas·sion
n. Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you relieve death?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know better than that. If you're really not at all affected by the suffering of the innocent people at Va Tech then just say so, but there's no reason to be a sarcastic prick about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am affected by the suffering of the millions of people exposed to this tragic event via the news media, not by some random nutjob murdering people. I would like to alleviate that (as well as the after effects of calls for gun bans, etc which are irrational, solve nothing, and create additional problems). How is this being a prick exactly?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:00 PM

you are being a prick because you are treating a situation which calls for a response of empathy and compassion as though it does not deserve this type of response, and you are doing this through sarcasm and arrogance rather than making any sort of reasonable point.

if you still don't understand. He gave the definition of compassion, as an awareness of the suffering of another coupled by a desire to relieve that suffering. In this situation, it would be a desire to relieve the suffering of the living, not the dead, you dense moron. Thus, whether you understand it or not, your posts make you a prick.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No single reason that I can think of since I'm already armed 24/7. There will be some national pressure on my gun rights but none at the state or local level. Oh, and I'm missing out on any reasonably important issues in the media for a couple days until this blows over.