Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Stewart Crushes McCain

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jon Stewart is every bit the political hack that Sean Hannity is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except he does it to be funny, only rarely trying to make biting points. Hannity thinks he is being serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daily Show viewers are the best educated and most knowledgable of all TV News Show viewers - and leave Fox News viewews in the dust

[/ QUOTE ]

Great info, but it has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central's The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot -- with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.

Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003571876

--------

so, comedy news is more informative then Faux news - hilarious -

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how many of those "smarter" viewers realize that

1) a three-question "test" isn't exactly a great way to measure relative intelligence

2) correlation is not causation
Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
O'Reilly is a populist

[/ QUOTE ]

You have /got/ to be kidding me.

[ QUOTE ]
Stewart is just full of himself and takes the show too seriously for it to be funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

????

Of the many charges against the Daily Show, I must admit "taking itself too seriously" is one I've never heard before....
Old 04-26-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of the many charges against the Daily Show, I must admit "taking itself too seriously" is one I've never heard before....

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, if you want to surrender to comedy!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
O'Reilly is a populist

[/ QUOTE ]

You have /got/ to be kidding me.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm not. Have you ever watched his show, listened to his radio show, or read his books? The guy is a textbook populist. Whatever he thinks is "good for the folks" is what he supports. I F'ing hate populists.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Stewart is just full of himself and takes the show too seriously for it to be funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

????

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not get out much. How about you try here - http://www.jumptheshark.com
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll try to modify his analogy a little bit so its more accurate. Rather than a building being on fire, lets call it a backburn started in order to control and contain a wildfire. Now the backburn hs gotten out of control and is burning in every direction. Surely we cannot surrender!

[/ QUOTE ]

If surrendering means leaving the fire to continue burning in every direction, I can't think of many who'd support it.

[ QUOTE ]
The point is, using the emotionally charged word surrender, while technically borderline, is a cheap rhetorical trick. How about instead of calling it a surrender we call it 'bringing troops home to their loved ones?' Its just as (misleadingly) accurate, and uses the same emotional pull, but in the opposite direction. Leaving Iraq isn't surrendering in the sense that the word is intended to convey.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, as leaving Vietnam wasn't "surrendering," in the sense we think of it in other wars with the leaders meeting and agreeing on terms and all that. However, leaving Iraq is surrendering victory in the sense that the "war" has become an operation in restoring order. I'm not happy with where we are or where we're going. As much as I hate Vietnam comparisons, if we're not going to actually try to achieve anything specific (as in Vietnam), we should leave. [censored] timetables and dates, just leave. If we're going to stay (and it looks like we are for the time being), our troops need not a timetable but a measurable objective. "When XYZ happens you can leave." Saying we're going to stay until the Iraqi army is "ready" (what defines ready?) or "until the job is done" (what job and when is it done?) doesn't do anything but guarantee we're going to be there indefinitely.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm not. Have you ever watched his show, listened to his radio show, or read his books? The guy is a textbook populist. Whatever he thinks is "good for the folks" is what he supports. I F'ing hate populists.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a populist like GWB is a populist. I don't consider paranoid ill-informed rantings that tend towards the ultra-nationalist and jingoistic to be populism. I think populism I think Huey Long. Maybe we just have different associations with the term, cause neither one of us like O'Reilly.

[ QUOTE ]
You must not get out much. How about you try here - http://www.jumptheshark.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't actually and I haven't owned a TV for the better part of a decade so I should stay out of popculture discussions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]