Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Default 10/20 Graveyard game @ Borg A6s

I haven't played LHE, or live poker in general, for awhile. Comments on all streets appreciated. Thanks.

Game was pretty good for a Sunday night/Monday morning. Right as I sat down, the whole table (9 ppl) went to a flop w/one raise PF. Indicator of juicy things to come. I probably played three or so hands in about 5 or so orbits, mostly unsuccessful steal raises against some calling stations.

Villain 1 also recently sat down at the table. No real reads, he won a hand w/AA (on waitlist for awhile so he was really eager to play when he finally got called).
Villain 2 also recently sat down for one orbit. He came in from a 2/5 table.

Here's the hand:
I limped PF UTG w/A6s (clubs). I know that's kinda spewy, but I don't mind playing for 2bets w/it. Villain 2 is UTG+2 raises, a LP cold calls in the CO and BB (Villain 1) completes.

FLOP: 458 (2 clubs) POT SIZE: 8.5 small bets
Villain 1 leads out. I called, pretty sure that Villain 2 was going to raise the bet, since being the PF aggressor and was going to decide after seeing all the action whether to call/raise. CO cold calls again, and Villain 1 only calls, and I hesitate, but only call.

TURN: A, board of A458 (2 diamonds, 2 clubs) PS: 8.25 BB
Villain 1 at this point leads out again. I wanted to raise again, but wussed out because I didn't want to eliminate the rest of the field and possibly face a 3-bet from a two pair type hand. Villain 2 pauses and calls, and CO calls again.

My main question is should I have raised somewhere there? Either flop or turn?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Graveyard game @ Borg A6s

many more bets need to go in on the flop. you have a monster hand. 3bet there when it's back to you. given that you didn't, i think the turn is close but i would still raise it.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
many more bets need to go in on the flop. you have a monster hand. 3bet there when it's back to you. given that you didn't, i think the turn is close but i would still raise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I almost want to just call the turn since a better hand is never folding and most worse hands will have very few outs against us, but in the end I still think it's worth raising for the times that we get cold-called by straight draws, worse flush draws, or random 3-outers.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 PM

I am assuming someone after you raised the flop -- I thik it is a fine play to just call the initial bet --- witht he intention of 3 betting when it comes back to you. It's time to 3 bet for value - you have the nut draw, a gutshot, an vercard and 87 customers. Load the bus please.

As played, a call on the turn is fine.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Fuzzy math: I think we can safely assume that you have 13-15 outs on the turn, which gives you about 30% equity in the pot-- so you are slightly more than a 2 to 1 dog. So, for every extra bet you put, you need 2 callers to be break even (neglecting implied odds, of course.)

Here, villian 1 donked again--- and if you raise and all 3 all, you are getting 3 bets, so raising seems +EV just on that basis. However, there is no guarantee than your raise won't drive out the 2 players behind you. That combined with the fact that flat caling the turn is the low variance approach, I think calling is the slightly better play.

I still jam the flop like a mo-fo though.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM

Flop: Like others have said the first call is fine, but once its raised behind you 3bet for value

Turn: I raise the turn here. While it's true we won't get a better hand to fold often, we can clean up some outs if we raise and we might have the best hand right now anyway. Your 6 makes any 7 a gutterball and they will almost certainly peel for 1 bb but fold for 2. Theres also a chance you've got the best hand right now and you're raising for value. Getting a hand like A9 or AT to fold fearing a set or strait would be a huge coup and even though its unlikley its worth mentioning.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Load the bus please.

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL ABOARD TO EQUITYTOWN
Old 09-25-2007, 06:01 AM

You make a good read that villain was going to raise behind, but given the fact that he does, you MUST 3bet after you flat call. Your goal on the flop is to get the most amount of money in the pot. As played, raise the turn. If someone calls a double bet behind, make a straight/twopair/flush to win.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM

3 bet the flop when it's back to you. No one's leaving at that point, even if it's raised again.

Your turn play is fine.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM

pre-flop is terrible but everything else seems fine. i might lean towards 3 betting flop but i'm familiar with the borg games and you really don't need to risk too much chip. you can find a better spot to play A6 UTG multi handed in a 10/20 borg game.