Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

Not being able to watch the WSU game this week, I have no idea if SDSU just sucks balls or if Brink was actually able to throw a ball past 15 yards without it being a duck. Given that he hasn't his whole career, I assume they just suck and we're still going to blow this year. I thought the Wisc game was a lot less impressive than some people think.

[censored] Alex Brink [censored] Bill Doba [censored] Mike Levenseller asdlfkjasdflkajsfalksj

(I really hate this team as its composed and I think we need a coaching change badly. Our defense is horrible and while we've got skill on offense the playcalling is terrible and some of the choices (starting Brink at all costs) are very suspect. Top that off with the fact that we've recruited poorly since Price left, and I'm just rooting for this all to blow up so we can get better sooner.)

Washington is not as good as people probably think right now, because the 'Cuse were [censored] horrible, and I think BSU was very overrated. If they don't luckbox that one bowl game, they're still a team who has basically never beaten a good team. Locker is fun as hell to watch though.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 AM

Mike Price will soon be coaching that team (WSU). Doba will go back to being the DC..
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not being able to watch the WSU game this week, I have no idea if SDSU just sucks balls or if Brink was actually able to throw a ball past 15 yards without it being a duck. Given that he hasn't his whole career, I assume they just suck and we're still going to blow this year. I thought the Wisc game was a lot less impressive than some people think.

[censored] Alex Brink [censored] Bill Doba [censored] Mike Levenseller asdlfkjasdflkajsfalksj

(I really hate this team as its composed and I think we need a coaching change badly. Our defense is horrible and while we've got skill on offense the playcalling is terrible and some of the choices (starting Brink at all costs) are very suspect. Top that off with the fact that we've recruited poorly since Price left, and I'm just rooting for this all to blow up so we can get better sooner.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I was at both of WSU's games so far and have nothing but positive things to say about Brink in general. Granted SDSU's defense is terrible, but Brink was hitting his receivers in stride yesterday and looked very composed. Also, the receivers this year have really great hands and I have not seen the dropped passes that have plagued the Cougs the past couple years. The O-line has been better than advertised, giving Brink time to throw and also opening up lanes for an effective rushing attack (evident against Wisc and not really needed against SDSU).

The defense is shaky and is gonna give up points all year. The secondary is particularly young and it appears their gameplan is to play off the receivers so as not to surrender a big play over the top. What it amounts to is plenty of open receivers on short routes, which was a frustrating problem against Wisc. Pass rush is nowhere to be found, compounding the problem. I'm cautiously optimistic that the defense will improve over the course of the season, since it's mainly underclassmen lacking game experience right now.

As for the coaching staff, I've never been a fan of Doba as head coach. Playcalling has been suspect and recruiting is subpar (though admittedly, Pullman is about as tough a place to recruit to as any). It's a bowl game or bust for Doba this season imo.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM

Nice post BobJoeJim. Good read. I might switch ASU and UW, but overall good thoughts.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Price will soon be coaching that team (WSU). Doba will go back to being the DC..

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think Mike woudl be a decent choice because he can recruit, I doubt they'll bring him back. I would imagine they'll go for somebody younger in a more Tony Bennet-ish mode.

MSU- I confess to holding Brink in the highest contempt because I have a hard on for QBs with sexy arms like Josh Swogger and Gary Rodgers and Brink stole their starts with his lame duck throws.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:32 PM

I read that Brinks receivers really helped make him look good this game. They didn't really say why other than they caught everything that was thrown their way. Not sure if that meant the throws were bad and they went and got them or not.

b
Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Per the radio broadcast, Jim Walden suggested that the WRs made a lot of good catches on bad balls. Jim Walden however, is not somebody in whom I place a great deal of trust for accurate and unbiased opinions (but I love him calling games anyway).
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read that Brinks receivers really helped make him look good this game. They didn't really say why other than they caught everything that was thrown their way. Not sure if that meant the throws were bad and they went and got them or not.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say it was pretty much a mix of the two. While most of his throws were on target (including a couple really nice deep balls), there were several that were at the receiver's feet or a little behind, in which the receivers made tough/great catches. Those are fine vs SDSU, but I agree that he'll have to be sharper in Pac-10 games.

Simply put, Brink is gonna have to play excellent for the Cougs to have any chance against the higher tier Pac-10 teams this year (and that still might not be enough).

GO COUGS!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Bow down to Washington!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:15 AM

As an Duck Fan, Alum, Season Tix holder, etc, I will try to be as non-biased as possible. I am not quite sold yet on my Ducks. We all knew the offense could score in bunches but our Defense is still a big work in progress. Our D-line is barely holding together and is an injury away from complete devastation. Our LB core needs big improvement ASAP. Our young secondary is the strength of our D but I have seen them almost get torched a few times in these first two games. If Houston had a decent QB we would be 1-1 right now as he missed a couple wide open-bound for td plays and Henne's replacement missed a wide open throw as well.

As far as the offense goes, we are actually getting better if you can believe it. Dixon is still an inconsistent qb, at best, in my book. He is an interception away from completely imploding, like he did last year. Reports are he was throwing up from nerves in the locker room at Michigan after playing fantastic. He is so shaky emotionally. On the upside our Head Coach, Mike Bellotti, claims Dixon has always been able to make those great touch throws but last year he lost it for some reason. Sounds like upcoaching to me. I just am not completely sold yet.

Our WR are big and fast. It was good to see Derek Jones get that big TD. He is going to be a talent. He was originally recruited to play at USC but failed to qualify academically so he found his way here. Big time talent. #4, Jaison Williams needs to learn how to catch consistently. He has had a problem dropping sure catches over this and last year. Need to get that fixed.

One very positive note from the game was that our stud RB, #28 Jonathon Stewart, finally nutted up. Instead of dancing around immediately following the handoff he would hit the line of scrimmage at full speed this last game. When he does that there is no one who can stop him. He will overpower you for a few yards. Those who watched the game can attest to his strength. If he continues this trend he will infact have a big year and live up to his potential.