Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Jelly Battle!

[ QUOTE ]
Arrrrgggghhh, complete and total lifetilt. I was 3/4 of the way to being a major when the game just started raping me. Someone hits freeze, it's always me, and of course I'm right below a mine. If I teleport it's right next to the dude with the bitchslap manpurse. I can't hit a soul with an airstrike even when I carpetbomb the whole goddamn area. And I never win the same-square jelly-offs, but then again, I always run bad at coinflips.

I'm like one fourth-place away from being busted down back below a sargeant. Screw you, jelly bastards.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I've been running bad too. I'm even starting to berate the fish.

Anyone else have problems with games freezing up a lot? Like we can still chat, but the game just stops. Does this hurt our scores?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 PM

The game will often freeze, especially at peak times.

It seems to hurt your score - im pretty sure it rates you as normal but ive no idea if its via who is last to leave the game wins, or if the person with most health wins etc.

Fwiw, i normally try and convince the other person to leave first and just angle shoot them that way just in case.

Variance in Jelly Battle can be tough - i was constantly up and down around the major level at 7500 before going on a good run.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 PM

I love Jelly Rage-aholics. They think Rage is awesome, so they load up on it. In the meantime, I load up on shields and invisibility, while hitting those "X's" and freezes when I can to screw them up.

The game theory involved is fun, but yeah, variance sucks.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:45 PM

The only thing funnier than the game theory was the one guy who tried to collude with me to KO another guy!

I once killed a guy by winning a jelly off for a shield with two nearby nukes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also, freeze is by far and away the most underrated square - when im in the zone i can finish the final one on one bit without them picking up a single weapon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

General jelly strategy for me is a bit like SnGs:

1, Stay out of trouble. Try and find a corner and dont lose health. Shields, invisible and rage are good picks
2, Pick up solid spots to damage everyone with nukes and airstrikes - plus the odd random drop to screw with them
3, When they have finished themselves off and its heads up, go uber aggro and try and push them onto the backfoot then just pound them with rage and the random drops. Plus if you cant get a solid aggressive square a freeze followed by close range blast is a really powerful combo.

And always be aware of the board in general - sometimes this means taking a gamble on a jelly off to stop someone gaining a big upperhand. Try and get an idea of their tendancies - dont pick a drop when they are near an invisible and you should try and pick the invisible when they are about to do the same.

Run good, profit.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Rage+Handbag+Blast = Domination!

I just had a 15min+ HU battle with another guy who was very good. Felt like we could have gone hours.

While I agree a defensive posture in the early going is a very good idea when you can be the victim of a couple random drops/nukes/air strikes all in the same round. I think hiding in the corners is bad for two reasons.

First, it reduces your options considerably. You don't have nearly as many squares available to jump too. In the early going I try to stay away from other players, but you also don't want to get too close to the edges (particularly corners) or you only have a few squares to jump to. If you have the triple jump you can have a tremendous amount of options available to you.

Second if you get in a jelly battle at an edge you can be booted off the edge of the map which is instant death. Doesn't happen all that often but you need to be aware of it if there is another jelly nearby. Don't take unnecessary coin flips early!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Anybody make General yet? I've played against one General. I've been stuck at 10,000 to 11,000 points for a long time. I'm not sure how the points are generated but it seems to be based on opponent's ranking. If I place second I seem to always get +/-50 points and to actually make any progress I have to get first.

And then I'll get a couple games that lag out or two random drops plus nuke on the first turn and that's it..
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM

love this game...but i'm too stupid to figure out how to get it to save my score...

so i start every day a private....its kind of like ground hog day
Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Just login under the same name. (You may have to have cookies enabled).
Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Yeah, by hide in the corner i mean stick to a side out of the main action, not litterally in the corner square.

Also, being jellied off the board is a sick sick way to go [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Edit: Ive played 1 general, but i generally dont play peak time US. Im gonna make it to general within a week depending on how often i play.

Sick thing is i pay bills with poker, but im way more hooked to JB right now.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, freeze is by far and away the most underrated square - when im in the zone i can finish the final one on one bit without them picking up a single weapon [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Freeze is not my favorite square in the early going, because most attacks wipe it out, so it's almost like it never even happened. That said, it's a monster HU. Just be aware that sometimes screwy things happen. For example, I froze someone who had just jumped onto a Random Drop, with Jelly Rage, when I was invisible. I inadvertently bailed his ass out, and he went on to beat me.