Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Default stud book for beginners

BTW, the search function for this forum isn't that great, either that or I'm an idiot. (I'm not ruling out either one).

Anyway I'm looking for a book on 7-card stud that is about the same as WLLH by Lee Jones, or SSHE is to limit hold 'em.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: stud book for beginners

If you do an Amazon.com search for 7-card stud - you'll come up with a few hits....from my experience on this forum - many favor Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players by Sklansky, Malmuth & Zee (2+2 book) - even for lower limits.

I think a better starting point is 7-card Stud by Roy West. Flaws have been pointed out - but I think it's good for a total beginner.

The Chip Reese section in Brunson's Super/System is still relevant & is also held in high regard.

The books by Ashley Adams & Paul Kammen don't seem to have many supporters here.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do an Amazon.com search for 7-card stud - you'll come up with a few hits....from my experience on this forum - many favor Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players by Sklansky, Malmuth & Zee (2+2 book) - even for lower limits.

I think a better starting point is 7-card Stud by Roy West. Flaws have been pointed out - but I think it's good for a total beginner.

The Chip Reese section in Brunson's Super/System is still relevant & is also held in high regard.

The books by Ashley Adams & Paul Kammen don't seem to have many supporters here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on, tho Kammens Stud8 book (ebook) is actually not bad at all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM

The book by Ashley Adams has around 20 pretty good reviews... just wondering if posters here do indeed not like this book.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM

even though this is a book question - you may want to post this in the Stud forum, too - since those guys seem to pretty much stick in that part of the forest.

I think the Kammen book I found on Amazon was for Stud hi only - perhaps the 8 book is better.

I can't talk about the Adams book firsthand....all I know is that it's gotten pretty much a thumbs down from the 2+2 community from what I remember.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book by Ashley Adams has around 20 pretty good reviews... just wondering if posters here do indeed not like this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, they hate it.

7 Card Stud for advanced player is the number one recommendation here, even for beginners.

Chip Reese section in Super System is also in high regard

Konstantin Othmers book might be good, but is unreadable.

Roy West has flaws, but is tolerated by some (Tho AndyB our stud mod hates it)

The Ashley and The Kammen books are not endorsed at all.

Edit: No need to post this in the Stud forum, this is the word on the street. Long time since this question has been asked, but in the day we went thru this debate often.

Search "book" and user AndyB in the stud forum for the ultimate stud book thread a while ago, even containing both ashly and kammen (at least kammen, they are collegues) defending their books
Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM

If you're reasonably smart you can just go straight to Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players. Universally regarded as the authoritative book on the game.

Chip Reese's chapter in SS1 is pretty insightful, and really the only reason to even own SS1. West's book and Kammen's book both leave a lot to be desired. I'd just skip them altogether.... I didn't get much out of either.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 PM

One more vote for 7CS4AP- it just has so much good, solid information that you won't find anywhere else.

However, I will say you should also read Theory of Poker along side it as well.