Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Hooked on hooks

Two questions about a hand that came up tonight.

I've just sat down at a $2/4 table. The table stats show the table as a whole is loose agressive (45% see flop $25 average pot) but I don't know any of the players involved in this hand.

Hero has pocket jacks in middle position.

One fold, one raise, and one coldcall to me.

1) Do I reraise or coldcall? If I coldcall I can expect a 5- way flop, possibly six, and play for set value; if I reraise, probably 3- or 4-way, against only the players already in and their presumed overcards or overpairs.

At the table I chose to call.

The cutoff also coldcalled, the blinds folded, so 4 of us saw a flop: Q-T-5 rainbow, 9 SB.

Raiser checks, early coldcaller bets it.

2) Hero's turn to make a play. I can imagine cases for all three possible actions. Which will it be?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Hooked on hooks

1. i think i 3-bet this every time. JJ still does pretty well three way. if you can get it down to 3 players with position, i think you've set up a winning proposition that outweighs playing the hand for a set or flopping an overpair in a gigantic pot and praying that it holds up. calling gives up a lot of pf value...i mean this is one of the top 5 starting hands we're talking about.

2. since you failed to define your hand, reads become really important. against unknowns, sandwiched between an aggressor and two players, i'd go ahead and fold.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:47 AM

I'd 3 bet it preflop, you would be in a better situation also after the flop. You would know better where you are standing. If the CO behind you cold call 3 bets and it's capped afterwards you're in trouble. Now... who can tell.

If you play, you should raise it. I think a call is the worst you can do here. Then it'd really depend on the table, but there's a good chance someone has AQ, and he will never fold it. In that case fold, you're drawing to ~3.5 outs and it might get raised and reraised before it gets back to you. the pot is decent, but not huge. You can fold here. Next time, 3 bet it preflop.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 AM

Personally, that's a solid enough hand at that type of table to 3 bet and limit the players. I like to have more players when I have a weaker pocket pair, 99 or lower and just call in that position, (Unless it is early position.) and hope for a nice set and big pot. With JJ, keep the players on the edge and play it very aggressively and you'll take down the pot the bulk of the time. Why hope for a set when you may have these LAGs beat regardless of hitting the set or not?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:38 AM

1) Reraise

2) You didn't reraise and played for set value - follow through on your plan.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two questions about a hand that came up tonight.

I've just sat down at a $2/4 table. The table stats show the table as a whole is loose agressive (45% see flop $25 average pot) but I don't know any of the players involved in this hand.

Hero has pocket jacks in middle position.

1) Do I reraise or coldcall? If I coldcall I can expect a 5- way flop, possibly six, and play for set value; if I reraise, probably 3- or 4-way, against only the players already in and their presumed overcards or overpairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise it PF. You aren't necessarily playing for set value. This would be a value raise.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:22 PM

3-bet pre-flop to try to get a read on the strength of the other hands out there. The odds are that your J's are the best pre-flop.

Raise post-flop too. If you get re-raised, the J's probably aren't good.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:53 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, that's a solid enough hand at that type of table to 3 bet and limit the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi SD. Lose this thought. The hand has alot of value played against 9 players or 2 players, the raise is for value. In this case many hands are calling 2 cold with lord only knows what, well they might as well call for 3.

Given the nature of the hand on the flop I'd fold.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Do I reraise or coldcall?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy 3bang.

[ QUOTE ]
The cutoff also coldcalled, the blinds folded, so 4 of us saw a flop: Q-T-5 rainbow, 9 SB.

Raiser checks, early coldcaller bets it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would reraise. Calling is out of the question, and folding the 10 SB pot just because he decided to bet when the PFR checked isn't warranted IMO. He could be raising AT,KT,KJ, or other garbage.

Haupt_234
Old 06-29-2006, 04:38 PM

1) 3-bet !!!!!! you have to three-bet here, you have pocket jacks and you want your money in when you have, most probably the best hand.

2) As played, I still raise. You should have reraised PF then raised here, but I think a raise is still in order. See how others react then re-evaluate.