Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Default 2/4 semibluff doesn\'t come home

Full ring $2/4. The table as a whole isn't bad - $25 average pot, 41% seeing flop. I don't know either of my two opponents (except that they haven't done anything really stupid in the last 10 minutes.)

Hero has [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T in the cutoff.

4 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP3 calls.

The flop is [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5. 6.5 SB.

Check, check, hero bets, BB folds, MP3 calls.

The turn is [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q. 4 BB.

Check, Hero fires a second barrel, MP3 calls again.

First question: agree with the turn bet? Are you prepared to give up if checkraised? (I was.)

River: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2. 6 BB.

Villain checks. Hero....?
Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: 2/4 semibluff doesn\'t come home

the flop is a little dry. a call here from a limper often signifies a weak ace or a pocket pair. the pot isn't that big, and we have a small chance to improve. i'd probably check behind on the turn here, hope the gutshot will come, and then raise the river (as a lot of players auto bet the river following a turn check). if a K or T comes, i'd probably call a bet, and bet if checked to me.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:06 PM

There aren't any draws on the flop, unless I know that MP3 routinely peels a complete miss, I think I check behind on the turn and river.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 PM

Flop bet is good but I check behind on the turn. The range of hands that MP3 calls this flop with and will fold to a turn bet are very slim. It appears as if he is calling down to the river instead of drawing here due to the texture of the board.

Haupt_234
Old 05-14-2006, 05:27 PM

My standard line in the past was "bet the flop and check the turn" but after I noticed that this always resulted in being auto-bet on the river, I started putting that bet in one round earlier, since I was getting surprisingly many folds on the turn. Small aces won't fold the turn, but low pockets and bottom/middle pairs will. (The pocket sixes should probably have folded on the flop, but they never seem to...)

Would it be fair to say that betting the turn for a free showdown/possible fold is a good play with overcards, but not a good play when there is a high card on the board?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Results in white, for those who are curious:

<font color="white"> Check, check on the river.
Villain shows down DK, DJ... nothing but a backdoor draw on the flop, picked up the nice SF draw on the turn but didn't raise me... and outkicked my K-T. Arrrrgh. I appreciate the reassurance that there is no sane reason why I should have bet on the end and made him fold it. </font>
Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 AM

Given the board of [[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5] [[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q], It's not likely villian was drawing, hence, s/he plans to call you down with a pair. Save that last chip.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:54 AM

I like every street as long as you check the river. If you bet the river you will be lighting money on fire.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There aren't any draws on the flop, unless I know that MP3 routinely peels a complete miss, I think I check behind on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the average unknown, will call the flop with enough pocket pairs/8x/5x hands intending to fold to a turn bet to justify betting this turn. Against a solid opponent I like the idea of checking behind and folding to a river bet but not against an unknown. With an Ace and a Queen on the board, the hero has too much folding equity to pass up against many player types that like to peel the flop with lower pairs, so I like a turn bet here.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Full ring $2/4. The table as a whole isn't bad - $25 average pot, 41% seeing flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what I've been seeing recently, this is a dream table, something like best 5% of tables.