Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Improving your game

I often do the 'make a video' in my head thing. I'll mumble to myself all kinds of commentary. If there are hands i have questions about, i copy the HH immediately into a word doc and post them later. I recently downloaded SNGWiz, and i've been playing with that. I play about 32 SnGs a day, so I cant review them all, but sometimes i pick a couple at random and review most of the hands. I like using the quiz function on SNGWiz. About a week ago i did a bunch of hands on it just heads up to improve my instincts for HU push/fold game. I've done a bunch of just 4handed hands on the quiz thing too to make me sharp there as well. Really like that feature.

I don't really have any set pattern to when i do these things, but usually after/before/inbetween sets. All good things to do.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Like for instance, after reviewing my session I find I am not getting enough value out of my AK's. So I recently implemented limping AK on looser tables where there is a good chance there will be a raise behind me. If there is a raise, I can re-shove and get donkeys to call me off with crap hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I wrong for thinking this is -EV?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Probably negative EV regarding the reshove with AK. You might get some money from the stuff in the pot, but sometimes you will have to abandon the pot to a 4-bet, sometimes your resteal will run into AA/KK, and often enough you will be a slight underdog to a pocket pair TT-QQ. I think that adds up to a pretty marginal situation, wherein you might, just might be getting positive equity, but you smash yourself silly with variance and you probably don't maximize your expected value.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably negative EV regarding the reshove with AK. You might get some money from the stuff in the pot, but sometimes you will have to abandon the pot to a 4-bet, sometimes your resteal will run into AA/KK, and often enough you will be a slight underdog to a pocket pair TT-QQ. I think that adds up to a pretty marginal situation, wherein you might, just might be getting positive equity, but you smash yourself silly with variance and you probably don't maximize your expected value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely see your point...but from my experience this has actually worked out pretty well, at least at the 24's. Bear in mind I don't do this with every AK I have.

You would not believe some of the things donks will call u of with. It almost as if they spite calling because of an ego thing. I would get called by like Arag,KQ,KJ,QJ,JToff suite connectors,or just absolute rag hands...Do I get outdrawed? of course, but I don't mind getting my money in as a 70/30 most of the time.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 AM

The best way I ever found to improve is to exhange HH with a motivated player.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Pick a couple guys posting/playing at your level that you believe have a good grasp on the game or at a similar understanding that you are. PM them, exchange some HHs and discuss. If there's a debate you can always post the hands in question for others opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know this is probably a good idea but it kind of feels like im helping the competition.

Any $16 players wanna do this? I know theres a bunch of you on here.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best way I ever found to improve is to exhange HH with a motivated player.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the single best thing you can do for your game, everyone heed rex....and do all the other stuff people said [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pick a couple guys posting/playing at your level that you believe have a good grasp on the game or at a similar understanding that you are. PM them, exchange some HHs and discuss. If there's a debate you can always post the hands in question for others opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know this is probably a good idea but it kind of feels like im helping the competition.

Any $16 players wanna do this? I know theres a bunch of you on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:09 PM

read 20 posts a day and actively think about the hands.. This is esp. helpful before starting your session.

Make sure you have eaten and gotten a little excercise before playing. this is invaluable and too many players underestimate its worth.

Play around with all types of scenarios on SNG Power Tools..
Dont just make sure you made the right pushes.. but put players on different hands, play around with diff. ranges, etc. Change your postion and see what hands would be pushes vs varying stack sizes/calling ranges/blind levels. Its amazing how much knowledge you can extract from one single tournament by running 100's of diff. scenarios.

Learn to play cash. It will help you gain a better understanding of theory and post-flop play (although I realize postflop really not to important after first 3 levels)

GL

I played SNGs exculsively my first year as pro and these helped me.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 PM

I copy any hand I'm not sure in a document and try to work with them later.
I'm pasting any pushsituation in wiz afterwards, and posting any non-push hand of those here.

I also do the coaching thing, I kinda thought it was really nerdy haha, but I literally talk hands to myself all the time, explaining why I do sth etc.
I think it helps a lot against tiltcalls, too nitty folds and stuff like that.

Also I often skype with buddies while they/I play, and we observe the tables of the other, telling hands, explaining why we play a hand how we play it, discussing different lines - obv you can't play this many tables when you do this, but it improved my game a lot.

Lately I've played some MTTs with some kinda laggy style, just to improve postflop skills which aren't that important for sngs, but improving is never bad and all the cool guys play lag, so yea, I'm gonna get into that too.