Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Artists who are truly artists can tour to show off their legitimate talent and make plenty bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you insane? What percentage of musicians do you believe could survive just by touring? 0.00001%??

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew, normally I agree with you about most things, but you're so far off here, you're approaching french benefits territory.

About .00001% of artists make significant money from record sales. The artist makes .98 per CD sold and must cover production costs before they get royalties. An extremely small percentage of artists ever sell enough albums to cover production costs.

There were 600 million albums sold last year, meaning that there was 598,000,000 pre-production cost dollars to go around for ALL artists before they cover their costs. Consider further that the top 50 albums of last year accounted for 14% of all album sales. Artists are beginning to realize that they aren't making money on albums and that's why we're seeing bands giving away content - to sell tickets. Sure, you have idiots like Metallica that do sell millions of albums and will make millions off of that, so of course they are going to be protective of the current system.

On the other hand, you've got literally thousands of full-time musicians that only sell a very small amount of CDs from their live shows. They make their living from ticket sales and cover charges and always have.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:30 PM

To be clear, I think it has an effect, just FAR, FAR less than the RIAA says it does.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:30 PM

just a general question to the people who dont want there to be anti-piracy laws:

do you want other IP type laws repealed as well? For example, the process to make a specific type of drug, and stuff like that? Or is is just art?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be clear, I think it has an effect, just FAR, FAR less than the RIAA says it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true. But, being less than what the RIAA claims it is, doesnt mean its not still in the billions/year area. Because it is.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:38 PM

CMI I hate to join this thread's freefall, but theres a big difference between saying there should be NO IP or Copywrite Laws, and thinking its hella lame to sue lone individuals for breaking the law with exorbitant fees and damages.

One anaolgy might be speeding. It's good that there are speedlimits, and if you made the punishments commensurable with the POSSIBLE damages of speeding, the tickets would be like 1,000 bucks a pop. But since everyone does it that would be unfair and unfeasible. So they charge you enough to slow people down a little.

The laws are fine imo, they just need to be enforced more fairly otherwise the music industry is in for an even worse doomswong.

--GA

PS I agree that any musician who supports the RIAA is probably a hack.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Artists who are truly artists can tour to show off their legitimate talent and make plenty bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you insane? What percentage of musicians do you believe could survive just by touring? 0.00001%??

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew, normally I agree with you about most things, but you're so far off here, you're approaching french benefits territory.

About .00001% of artists make significant money from record sales. The artist makes .98 per CD sold and must cover production costs before they get royalties. An extremely small percentage of artists ever sell enough albums to cover production costs.

There were 600 million albums sold last year, meaning that there was 598,000,000 pre-production cost dollars to go around for ALL artists before they cover their costs. Consider further that the top 50 albums of last year accounted for 14% of all album sales. Artists are beginning to realize that they aren't making money on albums and that's why we're seeing bands giving away content - to sell tickets. Sure, you have idiots like Metallica that do sell millions of albums and will make millions off of that, so of course they are going to be protective of the current system.

On the other hand, you've got literally thousands of full-time musicians that only sell a very small amount of CDs from their live shows. They make their living from ticket sales and cover charges and always have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be completely right about this and I may be wrong about the relative importance of CD/song sales to the music industry, but the loss of CD/song sales to piracy is indisputably in the billions.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true. But, being less than what the RIAA claims it is, doesnt mean its not still in the billions/year area. Because it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a good example. I haven't spent a dime on music for at least 4-5 years. In my defense a lot of the songs I grabbed were ones I already purchased but wanted them in MP3 format. But by no means all of them.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM

GA,

I def. agree there is a huge difference between the two (fwiw, my person opinion on the issues at hand are: I pirate all the time, think piracy laws are OK (obv hypocritical, but Im cool with that), and think the amount of money in the OP is ridiculous).

I didnt ask that question because I thought they were the same, its just Ive been wanting to ask that kinda q for a while, and I saw an opportunity where it was fairly topical.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the RIAA will be obsolete soon, as they refuse to change their business model and adapt to current times.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unforunately, we're going the exact opposite way.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure there are lots of songs that are worth way way more than 9250$. Wonder how much money Beatles "Yesterday" is worth, or what about Bing Crosbys "White Christmas"?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are confusing two different types of worth. Sure the beatles made much more then $9250 but this women didn't cause $9250 of damage per song.
[ QUOTE ]
This woman gave away stuff she didnt have the rights to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who?