Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: A Peacful Moslem Or An Atheist- Which Is Worse?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but derailing SMP threads with religion is like waving the red flag at the bull etc. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say ban bulls rather than red flags, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

who would be left?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So true since I am by far the worst "bull." Heck I still respond to SAR.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Don't argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call people who disagree with you idiots. [Some other condescending, pithy stuff]
Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM

I was not refering to all 'people who disagree with me.' Just some, and some who agree with me. Their opinion matters not in the context of whether they are capable of informed open-minded debate.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but derailing SMP threads with religion is like waving the red flag at the bull etc. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say ban bulls rather than red flags, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my defence, I have also tried to point out the error of his ways and why his contributions were not so appreciated. Sounds like a sound AC solution to me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never thought I would see the day when I would prefer to be reading NotReady posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sad to say that I have to agree with you.

There are only 3 SMP posters who have ever put me on ignore. The first was Sharkey, the second was Skidoo, and now we have Splendour. I must be doing something right.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never thought I would see the day when I would prefer to be reading NotReady posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sad to say that I have to agree with you.

There are only 3 SMP posters who have ever put me on ignore. The first was Sharkey, the second was Skidoo, and now we have Splendour. I must be doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, those are the only posters I've ever put on ignore, except for Splendour.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:02 PM

One group believes in Allah, the other just uses their own minds and trusts in facts. Religion is for weak minded people who don't want to accept that when you die you to turn into worm food. It makes things less daunting when you can let groupthink reinforce a fallacy instead of truly embracing mortality, which has always been a huge focus of most religion. An atheist will chance his or her mind, when the facts are presented. They aren't going to base their lives on fiction.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

bippity boppity, show me the zoppity.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Seeing that this thread seems to be derailing, let me try to give a response, which comes from one of the Protestants which are addressed in the OP.

From a protestant / Calvinistic point of view, I'd say there is little difference between an atheist or a Muslim when their salvation is the issue. The protestant point of view is that you need to believe the God as shown in the Bible - through Jesus - to be saved, so you're either in this category or you're not.

The question raised is not easily answered though: in what way would a peaceful Muslim differ from an atheist? Both can be valuable for society in the way they act, there does not need to be a difference in their value for this world.

Let me point out that I am not very confident of the point of view from historic protestantism. I don't think that if God exists, he would judge only by what belief you had during your life, I think you will also be judged by what you have done, so if you were a "good" person, you may get a different judgement than if you were a "bad" person.

In summary, I don't think you're wrong, a protestant will say it doesn't matter.

I think it does matter for the society in which way you contribute to it, and for the salvation part: I think you're worse of if you were able to know the the truth, but you rejected it, then if you have never been able to know the truth.