Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 PM

Default 3/6 live and the kill is on

Hi all. I have been a long time lurker and have gained some great information from this site. Now I plan to be a contributor.

I was playing 3/6 at a B&M this weekend when the following hand came occured. I was at the table for about 30 mins and the table seemed mainly loose passive with a few older guys with comparatively large chip stacks and some young guys with small chip stacks. I was playing fairly tight as I just sat down and was sizing up the table. My read on the villain is loose passive.

Hero is UTG+2 villain is UTG and has put the kill on so it is now 6/12.

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], UTG+1 folds Hero raises everyone folds to UTG+1 who calls.

2 to the flop for 4.25 small bets
Flop is J46 rainbow
Villain checks, hero bets and villain calls 6.25 small bets

Turn is 2 (suit not important)
Villain checks, hero bets and villain calls 5.25 big bets

River is an 8 (suit not important)
Villain checks, hero bets and villain check raises ~8 big bets

Do I check, call or raise and what do you think of my play in this hand? I will post the result of the hand after I get some feedback.

The other play I was considering when I looked at my cards was limping with the hopes of 3 betting a raise. I thought I only had about 15-20% chance of getting a pre-flop raise and it would most likely be a 4 to 5 way pot. Comments?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: 3/6 live and the kill is on

Preflop just go ahead and raise. You don't want this to be a hand where everyone plays for 1 bet. If you're not getting action when you raise AA-QQ then you are not raising enough preflop.

River could be a fold based on your read (I suspect J8) but I'm not sure enough to let it go headsup and it's possible villain was slowplaying AJ or KK to the river since you know, "they always put you on AK when you raise preflop". Hence, pay off the checkraise.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 PM

no chance you can fold on the river...your probably good but the smart move is probably just calling his raise
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 PM

I think you played it fine, but if it's like where I play, you're beat, especialy if the guy is loose passive like you said. These guys seem to be straightforward, so if he's been calling all along and then c/r the river, he is pretty certain he has the best hand. He probably hit a set of 8's on the river but he could have flopped 2-pr (he could've called two cold with J6 suited), or even a set of 4's or 6's. They LOVE to slow play good hands and then spring a c-r on the river. That being said, just because he thinks you're beat, doesnt necessarily mean you are beat. I make the call just to see what he's got.

[ QUOTE ]
The other play I was considering when I looked at my cards was limping with the hopes of 3 betting a raise. I thought I only had about 15-20% chance of getting a pre-flop raise and it would most likely be a 4 to 5 way pot. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, in your typical 3/6 game, if you want it raised before the flop, you better do it yourself, especially in a kill pot. JMHO.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, in your typical 3/6 game, if you want it raised before the flop, you better do it yourself, especially in a kill pot. JMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is important. Especially at the smaller stakes, straight-forward play will benefit you way more than FPS will. So definitely raise pf.

I call the river and make a note of villain's hand while keeping in mind he is protecting his kill blind.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 AM

trivial raise preflop. easy river call.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 AM

Without any stronger reads, I puke and call. Very few 3/6 players are capable of the c/r river bluff, but I'm just not good enough to lay this down.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 AM

I call laughing and tell him to show me his 57o.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 AM

Go ahead and raise preflop. I assume the player was the killer, because he won two pots in a row. That gives you a little read, because it is usually correct to play tighter when you have the half kill button, so you can assume the killer is at least a little loose.

I wouldn't fault you for a reraise on the river, but I would find fault with a fold here. There are so many hands that a killer could have here, and a lot of them are top pair, which you beat.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at the table for about 30 mins and the table seemed mainly loose passive

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the right texture of a table to go for a limp reraise with. You need some aggros behind you with a very high likelihood it will be raised.

Pay him off expecting to see 2 pair or better. For God's sakes don't 3 bet a loose passive on the river with just a pair. Him being the kill poster, his range could be very wide. So he might not have a typical UTG holding.

b