Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Baseball Stars for NES

I have been playing the Neo Geo version of this via GameTap. It's annoying though because I cannot get consistent and solid base hits. It's either a home run, a little ground ball that the shortstop doesn't get to in time, or occasionally a walk on a hit-by-pitch.

It's also impossible to get the computer to swing on a ball and impossible to get a regular walk.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 PM

What is a wren?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:02 PM

false: Hardball, played in MS-DOS.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 PM

Okay so as I stated 3 posts ago or so, I've been playing Baseball Stars Professional for the arcade Neo-Geo via GameTap. Obviously this is a different animal than the NES version, but I have a question that should still be answerable.

Is it almost considered "cheating" to use the American Dreams? Are they a vastly better team than the rest, or did I finally just get good enough to start crushing the ball?

There's no season mode in the arcade version, but there's a Tournament mode which is basically one game playoffs. Today I had two amazing victories in the bottom of the 9th and bottom of the 10th.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it almost considered "cheating" to use the American Dreams?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was going to challenge a buddy of mine to a game, there's no way the Dreams would come into play unless there was severe handicap issue. That of course is for the NES version, I've no experience with the Neo game.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With enough time and money you can build a team that vastly superior to the American Dreams. Takes a long ass time tho
Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was going to challenge a buddy of mine to a game, there's no way the Dreams would come into play unless there was severe handicap issue. That of course is for the NES version, I've no experience with the Neo game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the years, I've played 100's of games of NES Baseball Stars against a good friend of mine.

I play as the Ninja Black Sox about 90% of the time, and I beat him about 70% of the time.
The 10% or so times I've been the Dreams, I win about 80% of the time.
We kept a board for a few years keeping tally of our wins and losses so I'm not picking these #'s out of my arse.
BTW-My friend doesn't suck, he's the only one who gives me a challenge in that game.

My point is, if you know how to use the Black Sox, they are very strong team and not much of a handicap against the American Dreams.

As for Baseball Stars Professional on the NEO GEO, I don't have intimate knowledge of that game. I only played it a few dozen times in the arcade about 17 years ago and never owned it for my home NEO GEO system.

By the way, Baseball Stars II on the NES is rather similar to its predecessor but fails to capture the magic of the first game in all areas.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:02 PM

Can't believe no mention of Little League Baseball. I also loved BS 1.000 and actually enjoyed Roger Clemens Baseball with the different throwing option.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe no mention of Little League Baseball. I also loved BS 1.000 and actually enjoyed Roger Clemens Baseball with the different throwing option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think little league baseball was the best game baseball game for the nes as far as gameplay goes. It was solid.