Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM

Default live 120 - call, push, fold?

Last night I had the following situation and was not sure if I made the right move

blinds 100/200/0

My stack +/- 8,400 villian +/- 9,400

Villan has been at table for 1 orbit, no raises or rr. He limped a couple of times and the onlyu hand he showed was tpgk to take down nice pot. Seemed pretty solid, passive.

UTG I pick up AKs and decide to make a min raise to 400, planning to push any reraise. Folded to villian in MP who makes it 4,000 - folded to me.

I pondered his overbet and figured he either had AA or 88-QQ.

One other factor - yesterday I read a thread on AKs that recommended shoving 100% when reraised in this situation. Still, it just felt like he had AA but....

Please offer advice/analysis.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: live 120 - call, push, fold?

How many people are left in the tournament and what are effective stacks.

What is the payout?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM

90 people started, 58 left, avg stack about 7,500. 10 get paid
Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Looks like a clear fold here, he is risking 1/2 of his stack here, which shows hes committed to calling a push, I give him credit for a strong hand. Looks like a tight-weak guy who is scared of being "cracked"

I'd fold here and look for a better spot, no reason to get 40BBs in right here.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM

This belongs in SSMTT based on the buyin live and the nature of the problem.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah.

Shove now. This isn't ever a close decision unless the situation is particularly odd. But especially given effective stacks of 42BBs; miles from the money; and the range you prescribed this is a simple question with a very trivial answer.

And don't minraise UTG please unless you do it every time you play a hand from UTG.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah.

Shove now. This isn't ever a close decision unless the situation is particularly odd. But especially given effective stacks of 42BBs; miles from the money; and the range you prescribed this is a simple question with a very trivial answer.

And don't minraise UTG please unless you do it every time you play a hand from UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with sometimes miniraising UTG and sometimes not, as long as you mix in the hands you do it with.

I am not sure AK is a good hand to miniraise, unless you think the miniraise is likely to provoke a reraise. You really don't want to play it 5-way. The miniraise may be OK based on stack size or read of the table here.

The big overbet usually means you are flipping or freerolling.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM

'The big overbet usually means you are flipping or freerolling.'
Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with sometimes miniraising UTG and sometimes not, as long as you mix in the hands you do it with.

I am not sure AK is a good hand to miniraise, unless you think the miniraise is likely to provoke a reraise. You really don't want to play it 5-way. The miniraise may be OK based on stack size or read of the table here.

The big overbet usually means you are flipping or freerolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with flipping or freerolling; and there is now 1100 chips in the pot so we get it in.

The problem I have with the minraise UTG is that it is typically only ever used when someone has a monster that they are never folding. In theory, if a player completely randomised his raises through his entire range from a variety of positions it would be ok - as opponents would be unable to narrow his / her range of hands in particular spots.

But the reality is that I have rarely seen players that manage to achieve that and a minraise here is quite specific. On a simple level, I like opening for the same amount in each level (i.e. 450 at 75 / 150; 3000 at 600 / 1200 etc) no matter what my hand or position is - unless stacksizes make a specific deviation automatic - as I feel this is the easiest way to shield your range and deny information to your opponents.

And finally, if you are going to minraise AK UTG you are going to create difficult decisions for yourself postflop the times you see a multiway flop oop (which Betgo notes above). Again, most tournament players don't play well enough after the flop for this to be a good - or profitable - idea.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Yeh, my only concern here is that the UTG miniraise is usually either a big hand or something like KTs that isn't giving a lot of action. Villain could have AA and put you on QQ/KK/AK, and figure you will won't fold to any size reraise.