Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Post hands where your cbet is raised and you play back?

I think the general thread messes me up, because I see these ludicrous hero call-downs with bottom pair, and I proceed to assume that people are messing with my cbets more than they are. But then like every time I try to look someone up or play back at them, they really have me beat. I guess I'm just bad at poker, because I have no clue where to pick spots to continue with less than TPGK+/big draws. I don't want to play fit or fold forever.

I'd really appreciate it if some people could post hands where their cbet was raised but for whatever reason, they floated or 3-bet or played on in some manner. How did you "know" villain was BSing, etc? I used to think the board could tell you -- like a raise on a K73 board must be a lie, but when I look them up (with TT or whatever), they have K5o.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Post hands where your cbet is raised and you play back?

Is there a way to filter these hands in PT?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 AM

I don't think so; not exactly anyway. You can mess around with the filter for "Pre-flop Raise - Action on Flop", and "Went to Showdown"/"Won without Showdown".
Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 AM

Party Poker, $2/$4 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 3 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $778.70
Hero (BB): $406
BTN: $979.90

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
BTN folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $12</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $44</font>, SB calls $32

Flop: ($88) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $55</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $110</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $362 and is All-In</font>, SB calls $252

Turn: ($812) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($812) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $812 Pot ($1 Rake)
SB showed K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pairs, Kings and Queens) and LOST (-$406 NET)
Hero showed 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a straight Ace to Five) and WON $811 (+$405 NET)
Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 AM

i'm pretty sure no one's posting the hands where they play back/make a hero calldown and look like an idiot...

uh like i believe seabeast is getting at in the post above
Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 AM

Party Poker, $3/$6 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

BB: $866
Hero (UTG): $663
MP: $600
CO: $549.75
BTN: $1,198.75
SB: $658

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $22</font>, MP calls $22, 4 folds

Flop: ($53) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $42</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $105</font>, Hero calls $63

Turn: ($263) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $175</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $536 and is All-In</font>, MP folds

Results: $613 Pot
Hero showed K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pairs, Tens and Eights) and WON $971 (+$669 NET)

Ok here is a serious one. This guy was playing out of control aggressive and was obviously bluffing so much more often than he would have the 3 hands or whatever that can call pre and then raise this flop for value. So i decided to call and then CRAI most turns because that gets more out of him than threebetting flop, and it also means you are the one who shuts the door - he can't rebluff you. I don't show bluffs often but we were battling.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:01 AM

just stick with abc guy
Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because I have no clue where to pick spots to continue with less than TPGK+/big draws. I don't want to play fit or fold forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I understand what you are getting at I still think that people have the goods most of the time and generaly don't make big plays. It's dangerous to go around being paranoid about getting outplayed which I think alot of us do at times. It can seriosly cloud your judgment.
What I suggest is spending more time on table selection. There are almost always tables open where you don't have to worry about this.

Do you really wanna play super agressive "wreckless" poker? I don't think you should be looking for spots to get it in on the flop with less then what you are used to.

Anyways, too bad about the filter in PT. It would be really helpfull to have filters like that to look at.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:30 AM

ok i was just reminded of a hand i played a little while ago:

Party Poker, $3/$6 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players

SB: $565
BB: $105
UTG: $413.05
Hero (CO): $597
BTN: $1,232.98

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $6, <font color="red">Hero raises to $30</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $27, 2 folds

Flop: ($72) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $144</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $567 and is All-In</font>, SB folds

Results: $360 Pot

earlier this orbit he flat called my utg open on the btn with A2 and called 2 barrels on a J427 board, i gave up on a river blank and he was good. so this flop shove seemed easy enough as he's clearly not about to give me credit for a hand after i cbet here, probably feels like he owns me a bit right now, and i don't expect him to really ever have a strong hand.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:02 AM

ddubois:

Unfortunately, I think this belongs a great deal to 'instinct' and not anything you can learn - it's about a number of factors that include metagame, timing tells, bet sizing tells, etc. that cannot be adequately described on the forum.

and also this place doesn't help, because people don't post the hands where they get owned - trust me, they do.

furthermore, it sounds like you're falling into the old trap described by matt flynn where people inexplicably bluff or call down despite there being no real impetus to do so.