Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Rebuy tournaments

So, I've been playing mostly 180 and 45 seat tournaments, but decided to try something a little bigger but still at a bankroll friendly level, and made what I now consider to be the mistake of trying the Stars $3 rebuy/30k. Every hand was all-in preflop, which felt a lot more like roulette than poker to me. Is this typical of rebuy events, at these buy ins? Are rebuys with just 1 rebuy and 1 add-on typically more sane?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Rebuy tournaments

Probably better people to answer this than me,bc I don't really play that many rebuy tourneys,but,yeah,pretty crazy early on. Lot's of allin with AJ/88 kinda hands.

As for your 2nd question,1rb 1addon tourneys are slower,plays more like a reg tourney for obvious reasons
Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 AM

It calms down after the first break and add on period.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:27 AM

Before the first break its pretty much a rat race to gather chips, for the $3r. It's pretty much a crap shoot until after the break, when some somewhat serious playing begins. Kind of like playing the lottery to take the whole thing down though :/...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 AM

I've played this a few times. 1st hour is just nuts. Make sure you are rolled for it and just push/call with A10+ 77+ until you get to 10k or so then slow down and only really play a pot if you think its going to be +cEV. Also, even then just push with your good cards because you will get called by crap.

Also, don't try and play this like a regular tourney in the first hour.

Towards the last 10 minutes of re-buy period, people will be pushing with pretty much ATC to try and get chips, so try and pick a few of these off with some half decent hands, dont get upset if you get sucked out on though.

After the break it settles down, but the standard is realy bad. People don't know how to play deep stacked, and all the big stacks are trying to race each other to be chip leader. So just play pretty tight, but call with a few speculative hands in position to try and stack someone.

Also, try and avoid bluffing, its not going to work. Just value bet all the way down.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 AM

Wish,

if you're lucky enough to get on a crazy table, consider yourself blessed. Play tight and get it in when you have a hand. If you don't want to/don't have the BR to handle some variance, don't play it, but realize it's very +EV to be on such a table.

Obviously the nuttiness is nowhere near the same in a 1r+1a MTT, which basically plays like a freezeout.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM

I try to play the 3-$10 rebuys every day. I'll generally be in for 4-5 buy ins and probably avg a 10K+ stack at the break. It's not hard at all to accumulate chips while playing tight. My normal range for calling AIPF is 88+ to AJ+, if I'm feeling like a gamble I'll take a shot at a multi-way AIPF with some smaller suited connectors. Maybe I've just been unlucky lately, but I have been at some nitty tables a lot lately in these tourneys. If you're uncomfortable with investing 5-6 buy ins it's probably not for you. If you want to play for huge prizepools on a semi-small investment, play deeper stacked poker for the majority of the tourney, and basically beat the rake, you could learn to love these smaller rebuys.

The 1 rebuy 1 add-on MTT's usually play a lot tighter than the unlimited rebuys. It's basically like a double-stacked tourney for about 1/2 the field, with a few shot-takers that only buy in once. If you plan on only buying in once you'll be at a pretty substantial disadvantage, so I don't recommend it. If you plan on buying in twice take the add-on rather than the initial rebuy.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM

You really do have to be suitably rolled to play these crazy re-buys though. The average buyin is way bigger than $15 (average $18?) and the variance is astronomical.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks folks. I budgeted 2 buy-ins (double stack to start) and the add-on, which is about what my roll can handle taking a shot occasionally. I didn't figure on needing 6 or more times the initial buy-in. I'll avoid these until my roll is a little healthier, since it's more expensive than I expected to play them optimally.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Definitely need more than that. With double+addon you are basically saying you have just one life.

Even if you push all-in with AA you will get 2 callers minimum in the early stages of the rebuy period. You need at least 3 lives (preferably double rebuy lives) plus addon as a budget. Thats $21.