Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Some Advice Please

I'm relatively new to poker; been playing on and off for about a year. It's a game I have grown to love, but I am currently at a stalemate of sorts in my objective to become a solid player.

I lack any sort of monetary means to play online or otherwise, as I'm a Freshman in college with a very very limited budget. So my question for you guys is what can I do to improve as a poker player without playing for money?

Obviously, books are an easy option, but I don't even really have the money to buy a [censored] book.

Play money tables feel counter-productive to me. Same for most freerolls.

Any adivce you could supply me with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Some Advice Please

Post $10 in there. If you really are a solid player you should be able to grind it out no problem.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 AM

Agree with Peleus. Get some real money on there. $10 is enough to grind up and get going. Keep that alongside reading the books and forums/articles on 2p2.
Play some freerolls alongside this aswell. chances of winning theses are slim but downside = 0 with a chance to bolster your bankroll.

stick to strict bankroll management and you may find this $10 lasts for a very long time.

Good luck
Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 AM

Try to find a library with Getting Started in Hold em and Small Stakes Hold Em, both by Ed Miller. Deposit a few dollars at a site and grind out microstakes. Those books are a worthwhile investment even if you have to buy them, they will pay for themselves hundreds of times over.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 AM

He did say he has no money. Assuming that means none then $10 he may not be able to afford.

So on that basis go for freerolls. Practice can only help but I have to admit the standard is dubious in these.

As for books if you can't afford them and you can't borrow any then the internet is a godsend. There is so much info - just search for it and continue at forums such as this.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:24 AM

I appreciate it guys, in particular those who conveyed a basic level of reading comprehension.

A couple months ago I actually cashed for 4 bucks in a freeroll, and proceeded to grind it out in $3 Sit & Go's to about $150, at which point my previously logical approach to bankroll management vanished and I crashed and burned at higher stakes. I attributed this to variance and inherently, my game not being up to par.

My first order of business will be to aquire those books somehow, thanks again guys.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 AM

Haj,

I sold off a bunch of play money and got $2 transferred to my P Stars account. This was like 2 days ago. I have since ground out micros and have built it to $15 (had it to $20 but lost a few bucks on one hand).

Perhaps this might be an option?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haj,

I sold off a bunch of play money and got $2 transferred to my P Stars account. This was like 2 days ago. I have since ground out micros and have built it to $15 (had it to $20 but lost a few bucks on one hand).

Perhaps this might be an option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice option but what freaking morons buy play money
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 AM

Exactly my thoughts.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 AM

They buy then resell. Who wants to buy it I have no idea.