Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Would a B&M TAG have the same VPIP as an online TAG?

I have little experience with B&M. Of course I have heard that B&M players are generally looser. But what about someone who considered themselves a TAG in B&M SSNL? If someone sat next to them with Pokertracker, what would their numbers be after a large enough sample? Would it still be in the neighborhood of 14/7? Or are even the TAGs a little looser in B&M simply because they don't see as many hands and need to play ones that are a bit weaker?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Would a B&M TAG have the same VPIP as an online TAG?

No answers because it is a stupid or obvious question? Show me some love here.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 AM

It's an obvious question.

The looser the table, the larger the average pot. The larger the average pot, the wider the range of starting hands that can be played for one bet.

In general, the SSHE recommendations for tight games are a good guide online. The recommendations for loose games are a good guide in a B&M.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 AM

Live players at SSNL are beyond retarded, I am one of them. I will reguarly raise to 40xBB with XX, how can you play against that?

I'd imagine you would take my money, like all the others...

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

JT
Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 AM

VPIP, I'd say yes.

I probably have a slighty higher VPIP live becuase I get bored, but that's a leak not strategy. With the larger number of short stacks (CA games) and the generally wild play its in your interest to tighten up a lot.

PFR, um, no. MY PFR is much smaller live than online and I play much more passively. Put simply, there's little reason to 3-bet 77 or 9Ts on the button becuase you're going to get called in 4 or 5 spots anyway, so you might as well see a flop since you can't isolate.

$0.02
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 AM

VPIP will never be the same live as online, even for tight players. The simple reasoning behind this is the time factor. Unless you have superhuman patience, you simply cannot sit there for stretches of 30-40 minutes at a time without playing hands.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 AM

my vpip is a lot lower when I play live NL, because in LA, they make you buy in super short.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
VPIP will never be the same live as online, even for tight players. The simple reasoning behind this is the time factor. Unless you have superhuman patience, you simply cannot sit there for stretches of 30-40 minutes at a time without playing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it all the time. When not tilting and not getting cards I've gone hours without playing a hand.

Which, of course, leads me to going busto with AJo 'cuz it looks like a monster, sure. But not playing a hand for 30 minutes is standard.

[ QUOTE ]
my vpip is a lot lower when I play live NL, because in LA, they make you buy in super short.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exactly. In many B&M games where the buy-in is 20, 40, or 50 bbs the correct strategy is to have a lower VPIP than the onnline 100bb tables.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Since you cannot multitable at a B&M (as you can online), there will be a natural tendency to play more hands (or die of boredom).

Also, the rake and dealer tokes reduces longterm profitablilty using a strictly TAG strategy. Therefore B&M players must compensate by occasionaly playing bigger multiway pots using a wider range of hands.

My $0.02
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM

No