Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM

Default How do I find Sklansky article from last Fall?

I am looking for the article referred to in this post.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post7228418
Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: How do I find Sklansky article from last Fall?

The article (like all articles) was taken down after three months. You'd have to get a copy from David himself.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:26 AM

Well, I thought this was his website. I tried google and didn't find any other web site for him. Are you saying I have to personally contact Sklansky ( and for that matter, Malmuth) if I want to read articles they have written for 2+2 Internet magazine?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Yes. Once articles have been removed from the site, the author's have all rights to them. So, the only way to get the articles is to personally contact the author. You can use this site to PM David.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Could you keep an an index with the past articles' titles, authors, and a short summary? If there is one, I don't see it.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you keep an an index with the past articles' titles, authors, and a short summary? If there is one, I don't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]
+1
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 AM

Hi hs:

When I first began writing articles for gambling publications in 1983 they only had what is known as first publication rights. This allowed me to produce several books and made my aritcles quite valuable to me.

Today, many sites just put the articles up, and leave them there forever. This is very damaging to an author who may want to put together his articles for a book. I think you can see why.

So when we established our magazine, we made a decision, unlike virtually every other website in our field, not to keep an author's article forever. We take the articles down and return all rights to the author after three months. And yes, this includes myself and David.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Hi Mason:

Yes, I see why it is done.

On the other hand, as in this case, I am only able to read Snyder's response to a Sklansky article where he quotes a portion of the Sklansky article. As you are well aware, quotes can be taken out of context.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I see why it is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, now that I think about it, unless you have marketing research to support that, I'm not sure if you can assume that.

I can only project from my own behavior, but I think I am a typical consumer when it comes to books.

Because I was able to read Michael Wiesenberg's excellent articles about online draw poker archived on the Card Player, I would buy any book he wrote on draw poker. I would also check out other books on other forms of poker that he might write because I know from reading his articles that he is a sound thinker and a good writer. So in my view, having access to his articles would certainly increase sales of original works.

In the case of collections of essays, I don't really see it doing damage to sales unless typical consumer behavior is different than mine. Personally, even if I have access to articles or essays in an electronic form, I often prefer to sit in my easy chair and thumb through a book.

So possibly you'd lose some sales to a few real penny-pinchers, but I suspect they would be more than offset by sales to the additional non-penny-pinchers who, having had access to your essays and realizing that you are a sound thinker and a good writer, would end up buying the essay collections as well as other books written by you.

If you have market research showing otherwise, then I guess I am not a typical book consumer.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't exactly what you're looking for. But, it's close.

If you go to the stickied post in this forum, you'll find "Grade the ______ Magazine" links for the past year. If you click one of those links, you'll come to a post in which I list the articles for that issue of the Magazine.