Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Default $215: AA on button, UTG+1 shortie raises, reraise or flat call?

Reads: Raiser have been moved to table an orbit or so ago, and hadn't played a hand. SB has just moved to table and BB seems to be fairly standard TAG who plays decent hands strongly (had pushed in second level with 99 over 5xBB UTG raiser).

My dilemma here was whether to flat call this raise or reraise?

My thinking was if i flat called, it may invite one of the blinds to make a squeeze play with any reasonable holding while a raise will almost certainly isolate the opening raiser, and I may be able to double up rather than just UTG+1's stack.

What do you think os the right play in this scenario?

Also, if you reraise, what do you raise to in order to get UTG+1 to commmit his stack most often?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t28183)
UTG+1 (t13920)
MP1 (t12985)
MP2 (t61555)
MP3 (t5140)
CO (t22460)
Hero (t33760)
SB (t87485)
BB (t37025)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t3260</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: $215: AA on button, UTG+1 shortie raises, reraise or flat call?

I like a call.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 PM

I like it too.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Are there any specific reasons why you prefer a call over a reraise here?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Yeah. You're in position so it should be easy enough to get OR to put his chips in and it's gagging for the SB to squeeze you.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM

I'm a little torn, given your read of the BB I think calling may be a bad play as it may end up that the blinds dont push the squeeze play and instead you are faced with having to make the OR commit his remaining stack which is larger then the size of the pot... which may be hard to do if villian is solid like your read suggests... Also what kind of a hand are you normally calling with here given these stack sizes... doesnt a call look stronger then a push to the observant blind player?... I think I like re-poping to ~15000, and I'd expect villian to be calling here a huge % of the time...
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Disciple, like you, I was really torn when this came up as obviously we want OR to commit his stack as often as possible, but obviously would love to fully double up through either the SB or BB. Calling means lots of flops could cause OR to not commit his stack and we forgo that opportunity. I certainly like a call if the blinds are very alert and aggressive- i dont think they will see the call as particularly strong, unless they consider me to be a very strong player who knew their style well.

If we decide to reraise, we presumably want to make our hand look as weak as possible to maximise the times we are called, might an allin be better than any other raise size?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
might an allin be better than any other raise size?

[/ QUOTE ]
This depends on your read of villian, because I assume I am generally facing weaker players I normally make this raise to ~15000 here, in every situation, and it therefore never looks out of line, a good player will likely realize he is all in anyways and will make his decision regardless of the #'s in front of you, but to a bad player a raise of a lot of chips with many #'s and a larger total will look scarier and if his situation is marginal may be all the reason he needs to fold... (a great player may pick up on this as looking like a tell of strength if he is seeing me do it for the first time, and then may lay it down, I dont encounter many great players and when I do, everything i do is out side the norm, I basically begin playing mind games)... but my thoughts on the raise size here are psychological...
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM

i like making it 7200 here, it looks like you have just enough to fold to a push but still protects your hand from one of the blinds coming along if they decide to just call. I doubt UTG+1 is getting away from any hand he raises here.