Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Setting up a Canadian proxy server

[ QUOTE ]
percula,

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on using a managed VPN (not a cheap service like findnot but rather an ATT) rather than renting and building a personal server VPN? What are the downfalls? Lack of configuration? I assume nothing would change on the client end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think there are a couple of possible issue that may or may not apply to a managed service.

1) You have to be sure that you are not sharing the broadcast domain. I would be very surprised if a service from ATT or any other large carrier had this issue.

2) I think IP is more of an issue than I was thinking before (ref why would stars see this responses). Any large carrier is going to show up easily on the registry of IP's and will provide exact information to a query from someone investigating assuming the investigation has enough weight behind it, and I think the poker sites, payment processors can leverage enough weight.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not even sure if this is possible/feasible; but is there any client software or maybe it can be done on a hardware level with a VPN firewall to direct traffic based on the process using the port? For example, lets say I want to route all traffic from PartyPoker.exe through the VPN but I want traffic from Firefox.exe to not go through the VPN? Is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

On a per application basis no. On a per protocol/IP basis yes. But frankly it would be a royal PINTA to maintain. Keep in mind that poker sites and web sites use host names to connect, e.g. www.twoplustwo.com, which can resolve to one or more IP addresses and those IPs can change and often do. But I have not ran across a firewall yet that is really very good at split tunneling on a per protocol basis, which this is. I would not want to try this with anything of value on the line.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I worked for Stars, and pretty much every plan in this thread would fail. Just a reminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much requires some explanation, PM me if you don't want it in the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense to BluffTHIS or others, but I'm not going to go into detail with regard to the security procedures that Stars uses, which are the only ones I am familiar with. I left the company on good terms and would like to remain on good terms with many of the people that work there.

Even if I wanted to divulge the information (and judging by my location, I clearly don't want any of the better Americans on Party or so forth), I wouldn't do it for free. (And in fact would charge close to $1,000/hr for my services.) BiPolar_Nut claims to have a working solution and he shut down his business due to lack of demand, though I can't vouch for him.

Just realize that if you slip up or forget one thing in the chain of deception that these poker sites and third-party payment processors will be fully justified in seizing all of your money. There are a few solutions on the Internet that advocate full-on identity fraud, as well.

The tradeoff isn't worth it. Trust me when I say NETeller is light years ahead of most places when it comes to detecting foreign fakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kyleb, thank you for an honest answer.

Maybe you would feel more comfortable and community oriented talking about this in a general debate than a specific debate about Stars.

In my thinking there is not a lot anyone can do to detect the physical source of a TCP connection. That there is not a lot of information on a PC that would give empirical proof of where a PC is physically at any given time.

I am thinking that the source IP of the connection is the most important part of this. So if someone was to connect from an IP that was part of a block from a well known VPN service provider, that would be a dead giveaway that the physical location is different than that listed for the source of the connection. This would raise red flags and most likely end in an investigation.

But if the source IP was from a range that is registered to some mom and pop ISP in say Brazil that this would not raise any red flags at all, as long as everything else looked right, e.g. mailing address was in the same area, bank was based in the region.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Question is, are sites like neteller and pinnacle or others going to go thru this amount of investigation to see where you live or reside??? If you sign up with a site with a canadian address etc or in the UK/do we really think these sites are going to go into such detail to see where you reside. Isn't the law specific about USA residency/how would the us governement get on pinacles case if you said you were from canada??
Old 01-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Neteller wants banking/phone/mailing address to maatch the country of your IP address. Party is anal about getting address verification if you move. Some sites don't give a rat's ass.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 AM

Ok after following this thread for sometime(and honestly dont understand computer talk)I'm still unsure if this will work. Can a server in Canada work? Please answer for all the computer idiots.

One question I have and its not a computer question. Is partypoker required to police themselves against not allowing US players? I dont think they are. They have cut off us players. What would be their motivation to set up an elaborate system to sniff out US players playing from a disignated server in canada.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:20 AM

I don't think I'm going to make my toronto VPN server public... it doesnt' seem worth the headache to receive payments and answer support questions and stuff...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 AM

Psst. Just wanted to toss my quarter into the pool and say that "it doesent have to be so hard".

Im livin in the US and am a Swedish citizen with US and swedish bank and online funding services and it works just finne for me to play on most US-blocked poker sites.

There are very few US Poker sites that actually block you (in my experience) even on IP-level, just as long as you can fund it, you can play it.

Maybe more and more sites are blocking but it really hasnt affected me that much.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'm going to make my toronto VPN server public... it doesnt' seem worth the headache to receive payments and answer support questions and stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

well I made it public. See this thread for details
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM

How do you set up Zone Alarm Pro to accept connections through VPN, but nothing else?

I assume it is on Firewall -- Expert, but I cant figure it out.

[ QUOTE ]
he's using Sygate Personal Firewall....which is also my preference. It's no longer avail tho. Comodo is okay, and Zone Alarm (paid version) will allow you to configure the rules you need.

I was running Sygate and will prolly go back to it, but I've run ZA Pro and Comodo during VPN tests and have been too lazy to uninstall Comodo and put Sygate back thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you set up Zone Alarm Pro to accept connections through VPN, but nothing else?

I assume it is on Firewall -- Expert, but I cant figure it out.

[ QUOTE ]
he's using Sygate Personal Firewall....which is also my preference. It's no longer avail tho. Comodo is okay, and Zone Alarm (paid version) will allow you to configure the rules you need.

I was running Sygate and will prolly go back to it, but I've run ZA Pro and Comodo during VPN tests and have been too lazy to uninstall Comodo and put Sygate back thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it usually involves advanced rules