Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Default $12 180 turbos on stars, need some general advice (no hand included).

Hi, I don't post much but am an avid player on stars. I am trying to crack the $11+1 180 person SNGs. I have a bankroll around 1k, which is in range to play these...However, I am not very experienced when it comes to turbo MTTs and am looking for some general advice.

Does one play these looser in the beginning to try to keep ahead of the blinds (as they increase 3x faster than normal)? Or is it more of the same folding most things when the blinds are low and then just looking for the best spot to push when you approach 5-10 BBs? Also, should bluffing (pre and post-flop) be exercised more as there are less hands to build your stack before you are in trouble?

I'm thinking that these turbo 180s are just a pushfest. Maybe I'd be better off trying to profit in something I'm more experienced in?

I appologize if this thread seems elementary, but any advice on turbo MTTs would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: $12 180 turbos on stars, need some general advice (no hand included).

tight early but take spots to stack bad players...AK cannot be folded as with premium pairs...if there are raises and multiple calls early don't hesitate to push big hands cause you will get loose calls....

Invite coinflips in the middle stages...you need to win these and with 30-60 people left they will give you the stack you need...late you need to target spots and push often to get blinds and antes...

general good rule is never bet fold middle to late...if you are committing chips at all you want to commit to hand unless you have a good read.

be ready for variance...also you need to lower your hand requirements and ranges for others...push liberally but call carefully...

GL and please don't bust me too often
Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: $12 180 turbos on stars, need some general advice (no hand included).

Thank you, this is a helpful post, we'll see how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 AM

gator...I play a lot of these and win quite a few..takes discipline early and balls mid to late...like I said Don't be afraid to push relentlessly ifyou have a sift table...the value of the preflop pots are the biggest factor
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Dealer: pokergator87 finished the tournament in 4th place

First tourney after your post lol.

Bout time I cashed. Thx again.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: $12 180 turbos on stars, need some general advice (no hand include

Hey... I posted this pretty soon after the 12/180s started, but I think it still applies:

12/180 pushbot strategy post
Old 11-04-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer: pokergator87 finished the tournament in 4th place

First tourney after your post lol.

Bout time I cashed. Thx again.

[/ QUOTE ]

vn job...guess I can teach better than I play lately!

keep it up and post hands you think are worth discussion
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey... I posted this pretty soon after the 12/180s started, but I think it still applies:

12/180 pushbot strategy post

[/ QUOTE ]

From that post:

[ QUOTE ]
2. If I get to under 15 BBs, I'm not thinking of doing anything but pushing if I'm going to play a hand. I guess there might be a place for exceptions, like slowplaying a monster from EP or a stop-and-go from the blinds, but I haven't found a spot yet where I thought they would intuitively be better than a simple push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this still standard thinking in the 12/180s(or turbos anywhere?). Does that include blind levels when there are no antes? 100/200 you're pushing for 2800 if you want to play, etc?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:48 PM

I don't see why you would change your strategy for a turbo. Your strategy should be dictated by stack/blind ratios. It just so happens that you'll be short earlier and will have to go to pushbotting earlier.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would change your strategy for a turbo. Your strategy should be dictated by stack/blind ratios. It just so happens that you'll be short earlier and will have to go to pushbotting earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my view, too.