Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Default ($24) Doh, decision with JJ again...

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1775
Hero: t1455
MP1: t1530
MP2: t2290
MP3: t1460
CO: t260
Button: t1290
SB: t1745
BB: t1695

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t150</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises all-in t1460</font>, 4 folds, Hero?

No specific reads on the villain but he's been playing tight so far and haven't done anything out of the line. Could he do this with QQ-AA? Doubtfully... JJ, AK, TT? Meh... Call or fold?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: ($24) Doh, decision with JJ again...

i fold here vs a tight player. QQ KK AK would be most common. not too many tight players do this with TT or AQ.

the biggest reason i fold is you are open raising co+4 and he is pushing co+1. this is a real show of strength by villian.

i would call if you were raising co and he shoved button.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 PM

folds
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM

I like a fold too
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM

I don't like the preflop raise size here. With a shortstack of t260 and a weak and hard to play hand like JJ, I prefer to either limp or raise to &lt;= t130, so an all-in of the shortstack will not serve as a potsweetener but as a qualifying reraise, so your opponents need to be much more careful when entering the pot (and that will make your decisions more easier) and you still will have the option of reraising if you want.

As played, I probably also fold. Villain has t1460, that looks like he has only lost blinds so far, so even without a read, he might be very tight. But his play is also unusual with KK/AA, but very usual with AK, so I think calling here is not horrible.

O.K., rethinking, I tend to call, as it will give me a read on him what he is doing and it shortens the average SnG Time, and I probably have the best hand here and there's already some of our own dead money in, allthough I would be more inclined to call here without the shortstack and instead 9 players with about average stacks.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 PM

This is an easy fold. You raised from ep, showing strength, tight villain reraised ai showing even more strength. I fold and find a much better spot.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

nothing to add other than I think this is an excellent observation.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the preflop raise size here. With a shortstack of t260 and a weak and hard to play hand like JJ, I prefer to either limp or raise to &lt;= t130, so an all-in of the shortstack will not serve as a potsweetener but as a qualifying reraise, so your opponents need to be much more careful when entering the pot (and that will make your decisions more easier) and you still will have the option of reraising if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy fold. You raised from ep, showing strength, tight villain reraised ai showing even more strength. I fold and find a much better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What will be a better spot?
If the read that most likely hand of villain here is AK, we are a nice favorite with dead money and folding would be a big mistake. With calling we shorten the average SnG Time rapidly (thus givin' us to get in more profitable SnG Starts), we get a read on villain as we will know what he had when we call and it will make future decisions very easy (as we are either big stack or out).

I can understand as I have argumented too, a fold here, but it is not an EASY fold. (Unless you only want a &lt;10% ROI on this level).

BTW, what is your more profitable spot to give up here 10% of your stack you are waiting for? Just waiting does not give you a significant edge if waiting will lead into losing 10% of your stack each orbit. O.K., a bit hard, but your overall, let's wait for a better spot tactic is very wrong (allthough still profitable but for only 5-10% ROI) and will get eaten by the really good players while claiming they are just lucky.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM

You can open to 150 and raise after the shorty shoves still can't you? Since your raise is 100 over the blind and his shove would be 110 over your raise. I think this is close and I probably lean towards a call.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 PM

I agree that it's a lot closer than a lot of people make it seem to be. Tons of people aren't pushing KK+ here and would almost always make a standard reraise. This is AK a huge % of the time.