Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Trouble with UTG raisers having small pairs

You guys act like I am saying that I always smooth call preflop with AA and then I play for stacks after that. I reraise preflop more than at least 80% of the people I play against. My range is fairly wide when reraising middle and late position raisers so it doesn't make sense for me to smooth call when I actually have a big hand.

Until recently, I very rarely saw anyone show down a small pocket pair after raising from UTG. Why would I not incorporate that into my reads? Why would I not mix it up and smooth call preflop when I think we will take the flop heads up? Against a lot of players that I play against it would be correct to find a way to get their entire stack in the middle on a 7 high flop after they raise preflop from EP. This is true whether I reraise preflop or smooth call. I would be giving up value against these players if I did not give action on low card flops.

I am just saying that I definitely discount small pocket pairs after I see an EP raise. Against most people I play against my read is correct. In these specific instances I didn't get it all in because I wasn't familiar with their play but I did lose decent sized pots.

I am starting to see more people raising from EP with small pocket pairs so I posted about it and adjusted my play. Apparently more people raise with small pocket pairs from UTG then I estimated in full ring games (which is the point of my post) or you guys are just being complete dicks.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:46 AM

I think the best way to get the answer is to log poker tracker hands and do the raise with low pairs in full ring early position a few hundred times. I don't really know what the answer is going to be.

Please let me know when you find out.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:58 AM

As an ignorant short handed player I always assumed Aces or Kings would be a nightmare at full ring... Also watch out with big pocket pairs if someone has raised in early position, i hear they are doing this a lot with small PPs these days...