Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum

Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Limit Holdem: Following other cold callers.

We are in later position in a game that is not uncommon to see a couple of people cold call raises preflop.

1. In late position: of the hands you'd normally throw away when it is 2 bets to you, which would you play when at least one other player has cold called before you?

2. Same question, but two or three others have cold called before you.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Limit Holdem: Following other cold callers.

Depends on if anyone that raised in early position was a great player or not. If two people raised in front of me I though had weak raising standards I would call with QKs, QQ-AA.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on if anyone that raised in early position was a great player or not. If two people raised in front of me I though had weak raising standards I would call with QKs, QQ-AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA and QQ are reraise hands, and two raisers is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a raiser and callers. I'm talking about hands, normally folded for two bets, that become more playable because of better pot odds.

For example, Miller addresses this point about small pairs. He says not to call for two bets unless you are almost certain of at least five way action.

Now, I'm not talking about five way action, but I was thinking there might be a few hands that become playable when only one, or perhaps a couple of people have called the raise ahead of you.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM

O, OK this are the kind of hands that I think you can leak money on if not done right. Sorry I misread. This is where math comes in I think and math is the weaker part of my game.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Depending on the game and which players are entering the pot I consider pp and Axs, Kxs, etc. In other words, I'm looking for hands that have a higher chance of flopping big in situations where I will get paid when I hit.

Since, I play short-handed games online these situations are very rare. I usually find myself in these situations in loose mid-limit live games like the Foxwoods 20 game.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on the game and which players are entering the pot I consider pp and Axs, Kxs, etc. In other words, I'm looking for hands that have a higher chance of flopping big in situations where I will get paid when I hit.

Since, I play short-handed games online these situations are very rare. I usually find myself in these situations in loose mid-limit live games like the Foxwoods 20 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a start. But a hand like Kx suited, like small pairs, is going to need lots of callers in order to be profitable for two bets. I'm wondering about some of the stronger suited hands, like AJs, ATs, and KQs. Do these get the right price when only one person has called the raise? And if there are two callers, do hands like A9s,A8s, and KJs become playable for two bets?

In very loose games where several have cold called I always play these hands, of course.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM

It depends on the players. Normally you can add KQ suited and QJ suited with one caller and a few more suited connectors with two. Also AQ and two tens.