Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Which Bluff(s) Worked?

yeah I am with fsu here. I never overbet except against the most unobservant donks. fsu is the same, and I think Empire might be suspicious if he did.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM

hand 3 you won, the other 2 you lost?

hand 1, what's the point of firing again? he just called 2 decent bets, what makes you think he's not going to call the PSB on the river with AK/AQ.... he's trying to keep you honest or let you keep bluffing is what it looks like to me.

Hand 2, wow, i can't even get into the donkishness of that hand, and I'm chillin at the $25's.

Hand 3, kudos. double checked and scare card came. That one should've worked for sure given his line.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM

how the hell is that spewing, what is he going to call here with? OOOH I KNOW VILLIAN WAS OBVIOUSLY CHECKING TO INDUCE A BLUFF!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:00 AM

These posts are sweet, Mike.

#1: As someone alluded to already, it really depends on just how thin your river value bets tend to be; if you're routinely v-betting AK, putting him on AQ/AT or whatever, and Empire knows this, then I think this one gets close. In general, tho, I think you're getting looked up a lot here b/c it's kind of a fishy board for you to be v-betting river, no? So I'll go w/ no on this one (even tho I suspect that you won since you posted it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

#2: I think this one probably worked, but only because you got the perfect bluffing card on the river. I like the size of your river bet, but I am not particularly fond of your flop call . . . at least have a gutterball doooood!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

#3: This one might work sometimes, but I think that if villain has an overpair he's gonna put you on a big ten or a middling pocket pair looking to knock AK out on the flop and look you up quite often. Me no likey, I think you got called.

(By the way, speaking of river overbets, this is a great spot for one, imo, if you use the tactic often enough. If not, I still like a bigger bet, say $1500-$1700. Your river bet size kinda reps a set to me, and a set bombs the turn, no?)

[Edited for clarity cause I'm kiiiiiiinda outta my gourd right now . . . and thusly it's still prolly not too clear [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]]
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM

Nice post.

Hand 1:

Meh. I think it is pretty close to being a good bluff, but I would prefer giving it up.
He could have AT and you would have a good chance of making him fold that.
AQ is also possible and may fold(?)
He would prolly reraise AK preflop, but he may just call you down with it all the way.
AJ or at least AJs could be played this way (maybe raises turn most of the time?)
JJ, 33 could be played this way (same here)
A3s/A5s could be played this way
a weaker hand than AT would probably fold turn.

I think you should give up, though it's not a hopeless bluff.

Hand 2:

Jebus! You raise with 69 on the button against a blind that you know 3-bets you very lightly??? Très mal, très mal.
I think I like post-flop though.
Turn bet is for folding out 9s, Ts and overcards, right?
River bet is for folding out overpair cheaply? Maybe should have raised a little more.

Hand 3:

What is a taggish screenname? Something like "IBluffLots"? Those seem to be held by the most tagtastic players.

I don't like the river bet. If he is a straightforward baddish tag player he is likely to call the river despite the flush-card if he called the flop raise and you checked turn.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM

I would guess the first two worked and the third failed.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM

How does AT play any different than AQ on river? It's the same hand.

Only difference is in the turncall, where he might call with AQ more often than AT.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how the hell is that spewing, what is he going to call here with? OOOH I KNOW VILLIAN WAS OBVIOUSLY CHECKING TO INDUCE A BLUFF!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-15-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does AT play any different than AQ on river? It's the same hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, ... close to but not exactly. Is there no way hero could have AQ here? In that case AQ would split and AT would lose...

I agree it is almost the same though and AQ might be played exactly as AT by villain. He has to draw the line somewhere though. Is AK played the same way as AT? No? Then AQ COULD also be played differently(?) I'm definitely not saying that AQ calls 100% here, but it might call occasionally whereas AT folds close to 100%.
Does that not make sense?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 PM

No, because AQ isn't valuebetting like this on river, thus AQ = AT. AK is definitely different of course, given that hero will valuebet AK here like this most likely.