Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Default I have an idea:Now what?

Without going into too many details, I have an idea for a website that could possibly be profitable. Basically, it's a specialized networking site. What's the next step from here? I have minimal experience with building a website or anything like that, if that counts for anything. Just looking for any kind of help, thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: I have an idea:Now what?

I'd say that for somebody who is not really into website marketing things, it is pretty easy to get an idea that seems great at first, but in fact has already been done or isn't good. That said, if I were you I would look for a qualified programmer/designer, let him sign an NDA and go from there.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 AM

The idea is this:"A Myspace for rappers" is how my friend described it when I explained it to him. In my opinion, it's sort of a hybrid of Myspace/Monster/Soundclick.

Basically, it's for aspiring/established rappers, producers, musicians, anyone really...To connect for marketing/musical/promotional reasons.

I do think there is a large market for this kind of thing...There are many people out there pushing their music via Myspace, Soundclick, rap forums, etc. This would be another marketing tool that most would probably be eager to sign up for if they found it worthy.

Also, producers/rappers would be able to hook up to collaborate. (Possibly even ghostwriters? Just typing everything I think) My idea entails many search options, with the ability to search by:
-Distance from artist
-Track is for mixtape or album
-Price
-Rapper style(Lyrics like Nas, flow like Jay-Z, content like Eminem, etc)
-Producer style(Liberal use of sample/string instruments like Kanye, crunk like Lil' Jon, heavy scratching/turntablism, Eric B. style)
-Speed of track/BPM

Lots of options. In addition to the "Strictly Business"(<==Already liking that name for the section of the site) aspect, it's also social/networking. Users create a profile similar to that of Facebook or Myspace. Standard stuff really. A forum would probably be part of the site.

At this point, I have no plans for users to upload music onto the site. (I imagine the costs would not be manageable for me. This would be the ideal situation though, in order to centralize the musician's online promotion as much as possible).

I could write a ton more about this, for 1 idea I type, I have 3 more pop in my head. I'm honestly not sure how much I should be posting and how many details of my idea I should be revealing, so I'll cut myself off here.

That should be enough to give you a pretty good idea of what I envision, and probably steal my idea if you are so inclined...but don't think I won't be after you. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You mention "somebody who is not really into website marketing things". This describes me. I have very little experience coding websites(some simple HTML), and I've been known to cook up a pretty mean picbox in VB(I don't even know if that helps anything). I consider myself very computer-savvy though, and I can pick things up pretty quick, and I (sometimes) have the patience for a lot of trial-and-error. I also have a roommate who can create a pretty decent website, and would be willing to help.
Things I have:
The belief my idea will work
Lots of daily free time
A willingness to learn
A library card

Things I don't have:
Money

Keep this in mind for any responses. Please let me know any opinions or comments you may have about my idea. Usually I remain optimistic about my ideas(tube of PB attached to a Chewy bar, and a wetnap attached to a Dorito's bag for quick and convenient finger-cleaning post-snack are my two favorite genius products) until my friends pick them apart from every possible aspect...Unfortunately they do not know enough about online marketing or building a website to crush my dreams this time...so that's on you 2+2.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM

There's no reason why this COULDN'T work, if enough people (rappers) were to join, eventually it would become a desireable community for all other rappers to join. The problem is - how do you get your member-base started.

With any member-driven website (facebook, ebay, monster, ect..) you often need there to be an explosion of growth to be successful. Otherwise, the numerous members you do manage to initially join, will eventually get discouraged with the lack of traffic and leave. Since your idea is basically a more specific version of facebook or myspace, it will be tough getting that explosion of member interest. In order to pull people from their previous networking website, you'll need to have a better website (hint: it's VERY difficult to create and run a good website) than the competition. If this project were to make it, I think it would be due to the effort (read: money, years of learning/work, advertising) you put into it, rather than the ingenuousness of the idea.

Just my 2c [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 AM

I post at several other forums, and am familiar with a few different "netcee" communities.

I am planning on this, combined with some heavy Myspace/Facebook advertising/recruiting, to provide a solid initial user base, and from there it's a matter of continued promotion and (hopefully) steady growth. In this day and age, more and more people are making music on their computers, and these people are my target audience. It's not unusual to record tracks with people you have never met or seen before, and my site is a perfect way to facilitate these collaborations. After spending 3+ years at a rap forum, and being a lifelong fan of rap music, I feel like I know enough about the music, and enough about the mindset of the typical rapper or producer, to make this site work.

Keep the comments coming, I'm really interested in hearing what people have to say about this.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 AM

well i agree it will be hard to get members, but maybe you can pull it off

if you want to make the site easily/cheaply/free, go to www.ning.com, its a website that lets you build your own myspacelike social networks
Old 11-21-2007, 02:00 PM

The marketing part really is the hardest. Many people can write a base for a website, or you can use a pre-made kit for it, but it's extremely difficult to start a community. Tens of thousands of forums are started every day, only one or two of them become somewhat successful. If you want this to work, you need to think of creative ways to market this thing and get at least like a thousand active members quickly, so they build the community and get their friends to sign up.

Nothing is as hard to start as an online (forum) community.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM

I've read some predictions that niche social networking sites are "the next big thing" however I am skeptical as we already have them, they are called message board communities.

Also your demographic isn't very desirable if one of your monetization strategies is hosting advertisements.