Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Average SMP IQ.

Well there's a couple of weird things about intelligence. One we'll never know how much intelligence is affected by personality type and people's natural tendencies. Does one side of the brain take over at some point? It seems like people with the best communication skills have an earlier language skill set, e.g. women speak at earlier ages than men and read better in kindergarten and men do better at math as a group then women do. Its something programmed in us, but at the same time society needs all the different skill types to flourish.

The second weird thing about intelligence is as humans evolve the skill that is currently of the greatest value might actually have less value and the currently devalued skills might gain greater value but that will be dependent on the actual culture that humanity has evolved into and the objectives/needs of that culture.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two IQs I'd like to know:

Borodog: I'd put him at mid 130s.
Sklansky: Around the same.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I have always tested at 135-140 on various internet tests (which I admit I find enjoyable).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth noting that a lot of Internet tests cap at 130-140. Scoring in this range online pretty much means 130+. Could be 130, could be 250. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is it we need a metric for intelligence anyway? surely those who are of superior intelligence know they are, and people tend to be pretty good at gauging the charteristics they believe to be valuable in other people anyway so what is the point? things like GRE and SAT tests make sense because they base how well one does in an educational environment, but an IQ test seems to be nothing but a bragging right

[/ QUOTE ]

Because us intelligent people need some way to quickly explain to idiots how smart we are. The other smart people can just figure it out on their own but the dummies might never realize how brilliant we are if we didnt break it down into a nice palatable number for them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Others - Agree Sklansky's IQ is 125-135.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the over for $$$.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 PM

FWIW ~150
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I havent got a clue - but this seemed to me an obvious example of an inherent problem with IQ tests. Perhaps these sort of problems disappear in better tests (or balance each other out).

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what is agreed upon as the problem with the majority of IQ tests is that the test makers aren't necessarily as smart as/smarter than the person they are testing. a result of this is a test that contains false patterns, vague questions, and questions that don't pertain to intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorites are the ones where there are multiple possible "correct" answers depending on how you look at it. A possible example:

Which animal is different from the others:

A. Horse
B. Crocodile
C. Monkey
D. Elephant

The likely "correct" answer to this question would be croc because it's a reptile, and that's the best answer, but someone might very reasonably think of monkey because it has 2 legs instead of 4 and since these tests are time based, once you hit on a correct answer, it's a bad idea to keep looking for other "more correct" answers.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 PM

131 tested at age 6 or 7

130 on 2 tests in the last 2 years
Old 11-23-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorites are the ones where there are multiple possible "correct" answers depending on how you look at it. A possible example:

Which animal is different from the others:

A. Horse
B. Crocodile
C. Monkey
D. Elephant

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya! Those are the worst.

The ones that involve an uncommon word which you may or may not know are really [censored] too.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The measure of how good you look is rejection by females, not job interviews.

[/ QUOTE ]
How good you look plays a big part in many things in society, including job interviews.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:46 PM

I think mine is around 150.

More importantly, I once scored a 20 on the Putnam test.

I rule.