Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Default A question about the US attorneys firing...

If the prosecuters serve at the pleasure of the president, why does firing them create the shitstorm that it has? I realize it may have been shady, but I was under the impression that they can come and go as the president pleases?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: A question about the US attorneys firing...

[ QUOTE ]
If the prosecuters serve at the pleasure of the president, why does firing them create the shitstorm that it has? I realize it may have been shady, but I was under the impression that they can come and go as the president pleases?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is essentially a red herring; no one reputable, as far as I know, denies that the prosecutors serve at the pleasure of the President. That's not where the criticism lies; I don't think anyone is arguing the President is outside of legal bounds. Instead, criticism of the Bush Administration has centered around the notion that they have excessively politicized the hiring and firing of federal attorneys.

So, yes, the President is certainly within his rights to fire and hire whoever he likes in this case, but I don't think that ends the discussion.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

these attorneys were Bush's own appointments, apparently fired during Bush's second term, because they did not follow his political line. it is incredibly suspicious, and while they certainly serve at the pleasure of the president, he can't ask them to do anything illegal and fire them when they say no.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 PM

Firing attorneys - legal
Firing attorneys to impede/influence a federal investigation - illegal

Past attorneys who were fired - they had legal troubles or serious performance issues
Present attorneys who were fired - "not good bushies"

Attorneys tendering resignation upon administration change =/= firing attorneys
Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead, criticism of the Bush Administration has centered around the notion that they have excessively politicized the hiring and firing of federal attorneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

One person's "excessivly politicized" is another person's "reasonable course of action." Something being "excessively politicized" seems very vague and if that's what the Democrats in Congress want to subpoena witnesses for then I think they need to make a definitive statement on what they believe "excessively politicized" entails prior to doing so. Forcing a confrontation between the legislative branch and the executive branch over "executive priveledge" IMO needs more justification than some nebulous notion regarding the possibility of something being "excessively politicized." Have they done this yet? Then it might be worthwhile IMO to discuss whether their criteria for something being "excessively politicized" is worthwhile and valid.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these attorneys were Bush's own appointments, apparently fired during Bush's second term, because they did not follow his political line. it is incredibly suspicious, and while they certainly serve at the pleasure of the president, he can't ask them to do anything illegal and fire them when they say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Controversy Regarding U.S. Attorney Firings

In October of 2006, George W. Bush told Alberto Gonzales that he had received complaints that some of the U.S. Attorneys had not pursued certain voter-fraud investigations.[16] The complaints came from Republican officials, who demanded fraud investigations into a number of Democratic campaigns. The 2006 United States general election was forthcoming (November) and Republicans were concerned about losing Congressional seats to Democrats. (The election in fact did overturn Congressional control to the Democratic party).

One of the attorney's fired was David Iglesias who had New Mexico as one of the places where he served. I live in New Mexico and I can tell you for cetain that a group tried to register my then 14 year old granddaughter to vote prior to the November elections. They were trying to register voters at a rock concert of some sort that she attended. According to my daughter they would have succeeded if she hadn't interceded. The Washington Post in a story speculated that Iglesias was fired for not bringing charges against a New Mexico state legilator, Democrat Manny Aragon, prior to the elections but that's pure speculation on the Washington Post's part IMO.

Also this story from the Washington Post claims that Dominichi wanted Iglesias to pursue voter fraud cases:

Firings Had Genesis in White House

Iglesias, the New Mexico prosecutor, was not on that list. Justice officials said Sampson added him in October, based in part on complaints from Sen. Pete V. Domenici and other New Mexico Republicans that he was not prosecuting enough voter-fraud cases.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

i am sorry, but it sounds like heresay. i am not saying your daughter may not have been subject to pressure from a voting registration group. but i am confident that the prosecutors did their job and did not find enough evidence to file a formal case, and that was not acceptable to the administration.

you can argue about the voter registration people being guilty, but if the prosecutor doesn't have enough for a charge, then he doesn't have enough.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize it may have been shady ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Why has shady become acceptable?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in New Mexico and I can tell you for cetain that a group tried to register my then 14 year old granddaughter to vote prior to the November elections. They were trying to register voters at a rock concert of some sort that she attended.

[/ QUOTE ]
Proof that online poker is rigged!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realize it may have been shady ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Why has shady become acceptable?

[/ QUOTE ]
I realize this is a rhetorical question, but shady things happen daily without garnering 1/100th of the attention. What I was wondering, I guess, is what determines how a president doing something completely within his power as an investigative incident.