Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: You have a dream...

If I had a dream the week before that napolitino's pizza was buring down, only to wake up and read the paper that contained the story about napolitino's pizza burning down. And if 4 weeks before that I had a prementition that a friend of mine was pregnant, and she called me up to tell me the news. I would of course not get on the plane.

It's important to recognize a distiction here between people of faith and persons that beleive in the supernatural. As an former atheist I'm fully aware that if I was the only person in the world that was an atheist, that would never be enough to change my mind. Yet all xtians on this board depend on other peoples beliefs. If notready was the only xtain, he would shed is faith naturally.

So to answer you question of course I would get on the plane if I had no previous experience with my dreams coming true. But if my dreams often came true I would never get on the plane.

If anyone says that even after their dreams coming true in the past, they would still get on the plane. Is either lieng or insane.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably get on the plane, but I'm stubborn like that. Sometimes I will have extremely strong fears that I am going to jump off the building when I go somewhere that is high and exposed. I can clearly see myself doing it, in excruciating detail, and I am certain I will not be able to control myself. But I go up there anyway, and, to date, have managed to avert disaster.

My mind is extremely powerful, but so far its future-predicting track-record leaves much to be desired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vhawk, we need to talk. One of us is channeling the other's mind. I have these exact same visions, and sometimes I am afraid to go near the edge or near windows that look easily breakable because I'm worried that ... well, like you say, that I won't be able to control myself. But then I peer over the edge anyway, just to prove to myself how silly the whole notion is. I can't help feeling a little queasy inside the whole time though. I get the same impression in potentially dangerous driving situations, particularly on large bridges; I'm worried that I will just jerk the wheel and go careening off the side, and I sometimes find myself checking out the barriers to see whether I'd be able to break through them or not. Does this happen to other people, or are Vhawk and I crazy?

PS I would absolutely get on the plane, mostly from stubborness, and partly to prove to myself that I could.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:29 PM

obv i was goin to vegas to play poker and had 5k burning a hole in my pocket. not getting on the plane was not an option.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Flee at last

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You have a dream where you die in a plane crash and the most specific thing you remember about the dream is that there was a girls soccer team on the plane as it went down. You have a flight to catch that day, and describe your dream to the person dropping you off at the airport. When you get to your gate there is a girls soccer team waiting for the same flight as you.
Who gets on that plane?

[/ QUOTE ]Don't get on that plane.

In case the plane does not go down, you should take that outcome seriously into account. In case the plane does go down, what can I tell you.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if we don't get on the plane we know nothing: In the dream we are on the plane. Anything that happens (or doesn't happen) if we aren't on it is moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

So board that plane....in the name of SCIENCE!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 AM

in retrospect i should have called tolbiny and told him that i was boarding with the girls soccer team in case it went down.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get on that plane.

In case the plane does not go down, you should take that outcome seriously into account. In case the plane does go down, what can I tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if we don't get on the plane we know nothing: In the dream we are on the plane. Anything that happens (or doesn't happen) if we aren't on it is moot.

[/ QUOTE ]You seem very keen to board. Here, FMP :

Get on that plane.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem very keen to board. Here, FMP :

Get on that plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have vivid dreams every single night, in fact I can’t fall asleep until I fall into a dream state. When I was young, I took these dreams seriously and wrote them down. After many years of such experimentation, I can say that any thing I dream about is the opposite of predictive. My dreams are mostly fears of everyday life and the vast majority of those dreams don’t come true.

When I hunt for ducks, any duck that is in my direct range of shot, is a particularly lucky duck. I’m such a bad shot. In fact I feel relieved when I don’t kill the poor thing. Same thing with my dreams, the opposite of my dreams is more likely the case than not, so if I dreamed that my plane was going down, I’d feel more safe entering that plane.

edit - I gave an analogy, but it may be poor. The point is that my dreams have zero predictive power. And for sure, I've tested them
Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's still hope:

The many-worlds interpretation or MWI is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that claims to resolve all the "paradoxes" of quantum theory by allowing every possible outcome to every event to define or exist in its own "history" or "world", via the mechanism of quantum decoherence, instead of wavefunction collapse.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's still hope:

The many-worlds interpretation or MWI is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that claims to resolve all the "paradoxes" of quantum theory by allowing every possible outcome to every event to define or exist in its own "history" or "world", via the mechanism of quantum decoherence, instead of wavefunction collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi John,
I don’t think Metric thinks much of this MWI theory, but it’ s always intrigued me, mostly because I liked the show, Sliders. So of course, every single time I enter an airplane, I die in one world. But John please remember an important detail. Every single time I enter an airplane full of female soccer players, at least in one world, I am having sex with all of them.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 AM

Everytime I get on a plane I have premonitions (imaginations) of it crashing on take-off, but not in a way that makes me scared of flying, more in a perversly excited way that crashing in a plane is an experience not many people have had. I only get slightly nervous once I look out the window and feel like I am at a height that would cause maiming if it dropped out the air (based on my knowingly non-scientific perception of how height affects crash severity!). Below that height I figure it will be exciting and I will be ok, above that I think it will be an amzingly weird/exciting experience but with a brief dramatic end I have no need to worry too much about. I think I find something moving about being seriously dramtically powerless and having to go along with the ride.

(That seems like something for my psychiatrist? I never wrote that down and read it back before!)

Of course, if I ever walked away from a plane crash I'd have to avoid the urge to claim a premonition, given I think it every time.