Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Default hopkins vs. wright

Winky Wright is a 3-2 favorite over Bernad Hopkins to win this Saturday. What do you all think about this bet?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM

Default Re: hopkins vs. wright

After 5-0 last week, cause I'm weak, I thought I was going to take this week off. I really like hopkins though as a dog. I think he will win a split decision. It will be a close good fight, sadly I'm going to miss it, but I think the value is on BHop.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After 5-0 last week, cause I'm weak, I thought I was going to take this week off. I really like hopkins though as a dog. I think he will win a split decision. It will be a close good fight, sadly I'm going to miss it, but I think the value is on BHop.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you quit after every 5-0 week, how will you ever get to 10-0 weeks?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 PM

I like Winky a lot in this fight. Remember Oscar was even outboxing Hopkins badly before fading and being taken out with a body shot. Hopkins certainly has slowed down since then. Winky is also naturally bigger than Oscar plus is twice the "boxer" that Oscar was. Winky wins a lopsided decision.

-ActionBob
Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Winky a lot in this fight. Remember Oscar was even outboxing Hopkins badly before fading and being taken out with a body shot. Hopkins certainly has slowed down since then. Winky is also naturally bigger than Oscar plus is twice the "boxer" that Oscar was. Winky wins a lopsided decision.

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree, think the line is close to EV. Winky may be bigger than Oscar but B-Hop crushed Oscar.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Are we really thinking of betting on a 42 year old boxer? Well, I guess it worked for Foreman, but that's an anomaly. I mean, I know B Hop ages pretty well and all, but at some point he's gotta give in to his age. Yes, I know Winky isn't exactly a spring chicken(35), but he's a lot younger.

I think a lot of people will find this fight boring. They'll probably only fight the last minute of each round. I don't think B Hop has the skills anymore to win this fight. It's really hard to look good against Winky Wright, and if B Hop couldn't even look good against Taylor in the judges eyes, how can he beat Winky? Winky may run again and not fight, cause a draw and blame it on the judges, but I don't see him losing 2 out of 5. The Oscar fight was almost 3 years ago. Since then he has waned, and beating Tarver wasn't much of an accomplishment IMO.

To be clear, I don't think it's cut and dry for Winky either. B Hop is crafty in the ring and one of the most intelligent boxers in the game. He also has the size and reach advantage. But I think there is more EV in betting on Winky in this one.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM

I love Winky in this fight. Most people (me included) think fight will be a boring fight with each fighter feeling each other out, but I see Winky initiating the action the same way he did against Jermain Taylor. In that fight everyone thought Winky would use his counter punching against JT, instead Winky came out firing and dictating the pace the entire fight. I think Winky will do the same against B-Hop. Bernard is so hard headed that he will ALWAYS fight his way and that means usually starting slow and then coming on in the 5-7th round and then taking control of the fight from that point on. Bernard will start slow feeling Winky out and giving away the early rounds like he always does (Action Bob that is why Oscar looked like he was dominating Bernard, it was because Bernard was letting him). Bernard will then try to start fighting at a higher tempo in the 5-7th round, but at that time against a fighter like Winky it will be too late. Neither guy is likely to finish the other, so winning as many rounds as possible will be vital to each fighter winning the fight. When Bernard decided to turn it on in the fight, Winky will already be confident and cruising and will actually be hitting Bernard at a good clip and I believe the last couple rounds of this fight will be very exciting with Bernard knowing he needs to fight his azz off because he needs to win those rounds and Winky will return the offense to Bernard. Winky is fighting his best right now and I don't see Bernard Hopkins having his way with a good defensive fighter. Winky's will wear his jab out and throw a combo on Bernard, cover and then move out of danger and then get in position to land some more jabs.

Enjoy the fights.

Tuds
Old 07-20-2007, 01:58 PM

1) No one has EVER hit BHop 'at a good clip.' Not ever.
2) Winky is not young either.
3) BHop crushed Tarver, who was not washed up.

I like BHop at +125 or better.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 PM

No one has ever hit Winky at a good clip either recently(except for when he dropped his hands against Shane, lol). Well Shane did score a few punches, but B Hop doesn't have that type of hand speed. Neither fighter will probably land at a really good clip, so in the judges eyes I think it will come down to who is more active and forcing the action. This obviously leans towards Winky. And whether or not B Hop will be able to sit back and pick his spots through Winky's defense, we will just have to see. But I'd say probably not.

Winky isn't young, but he is younger. He's also fought more recently as well. Ring rust probably won't be a factor for B Hop, but at 42 it could be.

I've never been totally sold on Tarver. He didn't look all that great against Elvir Miriqui in his last fight either. I'm not saying he's washed up, but I've never counted him as a world class fighter, even after beating Roy Jones.

I'm gonna think about it a little more but I'm still thinking that Winky will win this fight more often than the line states.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) No one has EVER hit BHop 'at a good clip.' Not ever.
2) Winky is not young either.
3) BHop crushed Tarver, who was not washed up.

I like BHop at +125 or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Roy Jones Hit B-Hop Plenty
2) True, Winky is 35, but for many fighters, Hopkins included reached their prime later in their careers. Also when did 35 become over-the-hill, if anything Winky's arm have taken a good beating absorbing all those punches
3)Tarver is VERY MUCH washed up, have you seen his last few fights, especially his last one on Showtime? Also Tarver is almost 39, not that is pushing it in boxing.

But you are intitled to your opinion and if you like B-Hop I'd wait a while because the money come in on Winky, give you some good odds on Hopkins. My guess is you can get Hopkins at +165 range.

Another thing to consider about this fight, IF Winky fights an entertaining action style and is able to handly beat Hopkins the possibility for an Oscar/Winky fight exist. A really good performance would move Winky into the top p4p spots not to mention Winky would have victories over 3 opponets Oscar has never beaten; Hopkins, Trinidad, and Mosley. That way Oscar could fight and beat Winky and feel good about beating the guy who beat him (because lets face it Oscar is not going to be fighting B-hop, and Oscar has already lost twice to Mosley so he can't fight him, and Tito is on his 3rd retirement and doesn't seem to have any serious fire to box much any more). Just something to think about. Except Winky after his win to try to call out Oscar to get a mega fight.

Tuds