Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 02:52 PM

Default General swings at the 25NL...?

Hello there, I was just wondering if you could tell me what the swings are like generally at the 25NL level? As I'm new to cash games and I went on a massive heater during the first week and then I'm now down 9% (or almost 2 buy-ins over the last couple of days ... I don't play a LOT of hours by the way) I was just curious if anyone had charted/graphed any trends that show their normal variance for this level? It's the start of my downswing side now it appears and I'm getting plenty of very unfortunate outcomes and not hitting much of anything - the ones I was dishing out to other people all week... but it's inevitable of course.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: General swings at the 25NL...?

20 buyins is recommended for a reason. 2 buy-ins is nothing.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:02 PM

Doesn't seem very unusual to me at all. I've only been tracking and playing regularly at 25Nl for a few months, but I've seen swings like that pretty often. Up 2-3x BB, down 2-3x BB over a day or so... And sometimes it's just variance... Flush gets cracked by a rivered Boat, Straight gets cracked by a river flush, Aces lose to JJ after a pre-flop all-in... And to be fair, I've gotted a few suckouts of my own that balanced the score. Your heater may have been the flip-side of variance, when you benefited from a few coin flips that went your way in a row, vs. the other way around...

The first time I had a quick drop -- 3x BB in one night, I was pretty shell-shocked. But since then, I've seen that as unpleasant, but not exactly rare. All I can say is to try a nd take it all in stride and play patient, solid poker throughout... well, at least that's what I keep telling myself, anyway...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:11 PM

2 buy-ins are really nothing. So you dn't have to worry about it. If you lose 4 in a row that is still well within the realm of varience but you could check your poker tracker data on the big hands you lost to see if there are any mistakes you can pick up.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Since getting PT I have a 16k hand sample on NL25 6max and the last 6k include an 8 buyin downswing. I am a consistent winner (9ptbb/100 over these hands) and on the whole play relatively conservatively.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM

I've been down 5 buyins in 300-400 hands, 2 buyins over a couple days is nothing. dont worry about it.