Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Gin

Ok, this is a post out to anyone who has played any sort of semi-serious gin. I've been playing a lot with a guy from the live poker game I play in. We play $500-$1k per game (money flows). We play slightly different rules than standard, with 20 points for gin and 10 points for undercutting. I am currently stuck a reasonable amount playing this game, but I am guaranteed unlimited action if I want to play. I am a winning poker player, thus the lost money is no big deal but the potential for more makes me want to become the next Stu Ungar. His skill is of someone who has not really thought about the game but who has played the game for years and years with people who also aren't very good at it. I feel i'm a favourite in the game, but I'm concerned that after losing money i may not be, just wanting to work on my game before i keep playing.

Anyone know any good books / places to play constantly etc for Gin? Anyone want to chat about the game etc? Also if i start posting hands etc, will people who have any clue reply?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Gin

Anyone who is interested in this game, post your interest, perhaps we can start posting hand examples, general strategy stuff, book stuff etc.

I've just gone over the archives and read past posts and it looks like there's a fair amount of interest in this game.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:07 AM

I know this is a dead thread, but I agree that there should be some kind of section or devoted forum for gin.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 PM

i play a $5 game with someone. no deadwood allowed on the knock.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 PM

I was discussing this theoretical hand with a friend of mine. It is early in the game, and your opponent has just laid down a K, giving you three Ks. Your hand now consists of the following: Ad 2c 3h 4s 5c 5d 7c 7d Ks Kh Kd, so you must discard one. What is the best discard?
First of all, It can't be the A23 or 4, because they create a great four card spread for a quick knock early in the game. Of course it isn't the kings either, so it is either one of the 5s or 7s. This is where the confusion lies. Does it even matter which card you lay down? Decreasing deadwood at this point in the game shouldnt be a primary concern. Furthermore, sevens are the most valuable card in gin because of their extension value or ability to block off other runs when in a set. On the other hand, your opponent is unlikely to give up a 7 for the same reason. Unless your opponent is a highly defensive player, he likely wont give up a five at this point either. He/She likely holds very high cards (based on your hand and the rule of fourteen) and would be throwing off supefluos high cards in an attempt to decrease deadwood and use them as salesmen. I think that in the end the best card to throw town is the 5c. Your opponent is unlikely to pick it up (you hold the 2c and 7 c as well as another 5) and you open up the middle zone to discards.
What are your thoughts here? Am I missing some angles here? Am I mistaken?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 PM

In the long run it probably does't matter a great deal which you throw. Each 5 or 7 can only be used to make your opponent 3 melds, so, like most poker questions of this type where there is probably very little differance in each option, it would depend on my opponent. 5c is probably my choice (and I'd hope he follows the adjacent card/different suit rule and throws the 6d). I too may be missing something here though so any more ideas anyone????

I can see how your hand means he probably has high cards (you have high - he has low and vice versa) but how does the rule of fourteen work here? Is it that your hand average is 6.4 so his should be 7.6 (ie higher cards)
Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 PM

Seriously, thanks alot for this thread. I havn't read any books yet, and have just learned the rules last weekend! I am a total noob. Although I have read, and understood most of this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

First of all, It can't be the A23 or 4, because they create a great four card spread for a quick knock early in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this....could someone explain why the unsuited run of a234 is good? Is it just that they are low cards? Why does this "goodness" stop at the 5? Why is the suited run good for an early knock....I could see if you had As 2s 3d 4d but why the suited situation mentioned above?

Thanks in advance,

-pj
Old 09-26-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel i'm a favourite in the game, but I'm concerned that after losing money i may not be ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that Stu never felt that.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:57 PM

lol clearly Stu is a bit different.... Ok, i open up with a question on speccing, and when people think its right to spec. I would never spec unless it meant i came close to knocking in first draw or two and it just eliminated some dead wood for me.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i open up with a question on speccing, and when people think its right to spec. I would never spec unless it meant i came close to knocking in first draw or two and it just eliminated some dead wood for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find speccing is usally a bad play unless you're playing against really savy opponents and want to confuse them. I never do it.