Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This world is going down the gutter

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that I first heard this profound statement in the mid fifties. Then echoed throughout the sixties. Yes, again at the end of Nixon's second term. And yet again during the Carter years. Oh and in the mid eighties, I believe, that once again the world was on the brink of global disater because of Reagan and his Soviet union views. The nineties did not produce this statement very often to my recollection. Even with Iraq. I believe the doomsday folk were too busy thinking about whether a president should be allowed to get a blow job on the job. I really thought that was how people got "a head". Oh, well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the world has been constantly sliding into the gutter throughout that time. Your point?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know the Nobel organization gave out a prize for fiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted For Stupidity

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth is stupidity
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Old 10-13-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the world has been constantly sliding into the gutter throughout that time. Your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that those that believe that the WORLD is sliding into the gutter are just as wrong now as they were in the past.

pokervintage
Old 10-13-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that those that believe that the WORLD is sliding into the gutter are just as wrong now as they were in the past.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
Its just a slight abuse of language and a tendancy to egotise a bit. When they talk about a calamity for humanity they mean a calamity for those caught up in it.

living through WW1/2 etc was a disaster for huge numbers of people - THEIR would did fall into the gutter. A few generations later it makes not a jot of difference. The same is true for nearly all the so called calamatous consequences of climate change.

but its only a minor exaggeration because no-one cares much of a jot for the future generations so the jots cancel out.

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but its only a minor exaggeration because no-one cares much of a jot for the future generations

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe i'm too young to know, but i don't think this is true
Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a tendancy to egotise a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than just a bit.

Would you agree that we, the colletive individuals, do have a choice to at least try, even in the smallest manner, to change a course that we feel is wrong.

Of course I'm speaking of those that do give at least "a jot" about future generations. You see you are wrong about NOONE caring. Al Gore seems to and I know that I do.

pokervintage
Old 10-13-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a tendancy to egotise a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than just a bit.

Would you agree that we, the colletive individuals, do have a choice to at least try, even in the smallest manner, to change a course that we feel is wrong.

Of course I'm speaking of those that do give at least "a jot" about future generations. You see you are wrong about NOONE caring. Al Gore seems to and I know that I do.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
No he doesn't seem to care about future generation - that's the point. If he really did then climate change is almost irrelevent. Possibly more than irrelevnt in that the future generations tend to do rather well from disasters in the past.

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he really did then climate change is almost irrelevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. Now, I take it that this is your opinion. Perhaps based on the opinions of scientists that you believe are competent in this field. I know from folllowing Al Gore's work in this field that he bases his opinion on the work and opinions of many experts in this field.

Now, I'm not saying that I know whose scientists are correct but the fact is that if Al's are correct then his work has relevance and we must listen to him. In fact anyone that claims he cares about future generations must listen and heed Al's conclusions even if Al is not 100%correct. Because if we dont and he is right then we have let down those future generations that we claim we care about. If we are wrong then no harm is done to the future generations. If we are wrong it only means that we, this generation, must sacrifice a little. Climate change if in fact it occurs because of our negligence is not irrelevant to those that follow.

pokervintage
Old 10-13-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he really did then climate change is almost irrelevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. Now, I take it that this is your opinion. Perhaps based on the opinions of scientists that you believe are competent in this field. I know from folllowing Al Gore's work in this field that he bases his opinion on the work and opinions of many experts in this field.

Now, I'm not saying that I know whose scientists are correct but the fact is that if Al's are correct then his work has relevance and we must listen to him. In fact anyone that claims he cares about future generations must listen and heed Al's conclusions even if Al is not 100%correct. Because if we dont and he is right then we have let down those future generations that we claim we care about. If we are wrong then no harm is done to the future generations. If we are wrong it only means that we, this generation, must sacrifice a little. Climate change if in fact it occurs because of our negligence is not irrelevant to those that follow.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
What scientist in the field are saying climate change matters a jot to future generations. What calamity are they predicting for those born in 2500?

I think you're missing the point and fixated on those who will suffer during climate change and in the immediate aftermath.

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing the point and fixated on those who will suffer during climate change and in the immediate aftermath.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the statement of an evolutionist that believes in survival of the fitist. If a calamity occurs, something similar to the plague, those that survive will be stronger and thus better off for the calamity. You accept that the immediate generations after a calamity will suffer but that some how later generations won't suffer in the same way. Somehow they will adapt and adjust. Sounds optimistic. Sounds like we should welcome the calamity so that future man can live better. Sounds like we should welcome global warming. Sounds like you are basing your opinion on something you have no way of knowing. That is, how do you know what kind of calamity global warming will cause and to what extent it will affect future generations. What if the calamity is on the same scale or greater than that that has caused extinction of species in the past. What if there was posibilty that the calamity would cause extinction of our species. Would it be relevant then?

pokervintage