Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Once - (Movie recommendation)

Thanks for the heads up; sounds interesting. I hate going to the movies lately because I usually get forced to see something horrible just cause 1 or 2 of my friends thinks it will be funny.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 AM

If by modern musical you mean "created in the last decade or so", Moulin Rouge falls into that category and is also pretty awesome.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If by modern musical you mean "created in the last decade or so"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all what I mean.

There isn't any nonsensical spontaneous bursting into song in the movie, and the music isn't that same genre that's in every other musical ever made. It's "real" music.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 AM

ZJ,

This movie was very unique, refreshing, and beautiful. I have to admit that this thread was one of the reasons I made sure to see it as soon as it was playing at a theater that I didn't have to go out of the way to get to. ZJ, not that you care but you're alright in my book, lol.

The music just fit in so well and this is coming from someone who doesn't actively listen to rock/indie rock or whatever the genre is, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

The plot as you mentioned isn't spectacular but it's an excellent vehicle for the natural progression of the music and emotional story that it weaves. It just created an amazing vibe and atmosphere that I completely got lost in.

Plus I really liked the personality touches of the two two main characters. Fwiw, despite not much structured dialog I fell in love with the characters and genuinely felt for them throughout.

5/5 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 06-20-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
modern musical

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreamgirls w/ Eddie Murphy, Beyonce, Jaimie Foxx, and some chick from American Idol.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Just bumping this because I think Once started opening wider last weekend, at least it is showing in Knoxville, which usually doesn't get small indies.

I have to agree with OP; I was completely blown away. This is the best movie I have seen in a long time. Do yourself a big favor and go see it. I'm having a hard time explaining to people why this movie was so good; saying "its a simple love story with great music" makes it sound like it will be a silly romantic-comedy with some music or something, but it is absolutely nothing as trivial as that. If I could describe it in one word it would be transcendent.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Glad you guys liked the film. I'm Irish so I have a vested interest. I haven't actually seen it yet myself though:P

The male lead is Glen Hansard, from The Frames, a Dublin band who are dubbed as "Irelands best kept secret". The director of the film used to play bass for the band. I had the privillege of seeing them at a secret gig by a torch-lit beach in Wicklow one Summer. Was sweet.

weird...didn't even know this til now;

(IMDB Trivia for Pulp Fiction)
"Trudi (Bronagh Gallagher) can be seen wearing a T-shirt of Irish rock band The Frames. She appeared in The Commitments (1991) with Glen Hansard, the lead singer of The Frames, and they became friends. She promised him if she got a part in Pulp Fiction (1994) that she would wear a Frames t-shirt."
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 PM

I loved The Frames before seeing this (a few hours ago), but the film gave me even more appreciation for the music, and stood very strongly on its own ground as well. I really appreciate the recommendation as without it I probably wouldn't have gone to the theater to see it, and I'm very glad that I did.

Quite the movie, and an unbelievable soundtrack.

Rob
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Okay, got me interested I guess.

The trailer doesn't make it look that great though.

One guy on the youtube comments said pretty much what I'm thinking:
"this doesn't even look remotely interesting, but it got a 97% rating on Rottentomatoes from critics, and 93% from rottentomatoes user"

Guest-reviewer on Ebert and Roeper says that the Writer/director describes it as a "video album" calling it almost a musical.

But Roeper says it's TRULY a musical because they are playing the songs in their entirety through the regular course of the film in real-world setting so if they are on a bus then somebody is giving them a dirty look for singing, etc.

"If you're sort of adverse to the broadway translations to film like in DreamGirls or Chicago you get none of that kind of baggage."

trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=utl7TgsUOH4

Ebert and Roeper review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvRNNehMJGs&NR=1
Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Saw it today, absolutely fantastic. Great movie, great music. My date was also very impressed as I suggested seeing this instead of Knocked Up and see thought I was just trying to hijack her into seeing a guy movie. Big points.

I'll probably buy the soundtrack as well. The music has a very Cats Stephens feel to it. If you think that's a bad thing, give it a shot anyway.