Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Wynn 10k Poker Classic Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like your draw has very little value. The board is paired, there are clubs, so you don't know if any of your straight outs are clean. I feel like reraising flop is better than calling flop and calling turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like something out of Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that's a compliment or an insult.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like your draw has very little value. The board is paired, there are clubs, so you don't know if any of your straight outs are clean. I feel like reraising flop is better than calling flop and calling turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like something out of Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that's a compliment or an insult.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Well, I understand what you were saying, but out of context it looked like TJ Cloutier fold your way to the title advice.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I've thought about it, push. Immediately, no hesitation. Well, maybe hesitate for a little effect.

As 0evg0 eluded to, if you aren't getting all your chips in after hitting this hand, why else are you drawing to it? This is about as bare of a hand as you can have and hit your draw, so unless you were planning on taking it with air very often you have to push here.

Hope he calls with a 6 or maybe overpair thinking you missed your club draw.

If you aren't getting paid on hitting this, then there wasn't much value in the way you played it up until now. Why puss out on the river? Get your chips in like you planned on if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very flawed thinking. You're basically saying, "you hit your draw, therefore you must raise, even if you suspect there is no value in a raise."
Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 AM

No that's not what I'm saying at all I don't think. It kind of came off that way, but in this case I think it applies.

But what is he really putting the villain on here? If he puts villain on 66, 77 or 67, he shouldn't be drawing to a straight. Therefore, anything else he has villain on he's beating at this point. 68 or 62? I highly doubt it.

I think pushing gets him to call more often than anything else. A push looks like a missed draw or a weak overpair or something weird, I don't know, but I think it's your best chance of him calling you with a weaker hand.

Again I ask, if you aren't going to get more chips in when you hit this, wtf are you putting him on to begin with?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:25 AM

Small hijack here, say river is a club ZJ, whats your plan if he:
Fires 3000
Checks.

With hand as is i often fold turn and on this river i'm totally stumped as to whats more value.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:51 AM

i gotta agree with WarDekar
you where drawing to the straight and you hit it
if you thought he had a boat you would continue the draw would you ?
i doubt he has 7s or 6s here
he might have 86
or mayb hes just trying a 3 barrel
id push all in besides you flat calling everything so far and raising on the river adds value to your hand
he might think you have 7s or 8s or 6s using a rope-a-dope
if he calls here he either has a 6x 68 or a overpair
Old 03-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Default ------------ MY LINE ------------

I thought a bare 6 made up a lot more than 50% of villain's range, and I thought he was somewhat likely to fold if I shoved. Also, the second most likely hand in his range is a boat IMO.

I decided to raise to 6500, and fold to a reraise. I wasn't really worried about being bluffed off the hand. He can't possibly reraise without a boat.

Thoughts?

Results to follow.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: ------------ MY LINE ------------

I like it. He's given himself room to call, and will find it hard not to, with trips and I think he's never bluff-pushing the river and never, ever, ever value-pushing a worse hand by mistake.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: ------------ MY LINE ------------

My thought process through this hand goes like this:
- he c/r from BB after limped pot, his range is very strongly waited towards 6x here IMO.
- If you call the flop and turn, you have to consider the bluff cards you have as part of your equity ie.clubs (after i read the hand, i see that this was part of your thinking too).
- When you hit, Villian's river bet seems like he is not as comfortable with his hand as he was on the flop. 3000 into 7700 feels pretty weak IMO (although you might have to consider the 'live' factor and that ppl don't realise how much is really in the pot before he makes this bet). I would certainly raise this river although the amount seems like the most difficult part to maximise value from the hands you beat.
- I would weight his range very heavily to a bare 6. I dont think a raise to 6500 will ever be reraised by a bare 6 in this instance and you will certainly get called almost always by 6x hands. Also, I think villian finds a fold too often with bare sixes to make an allin the greatest +EV play. He will fold the hands you beat and almost never fold better hands.

- As Registrar said, I dont think he is bluff-pushing the river, like ever, and is only (99% of the time)value raising the river with hands that beat you so your bet amount still leaves you room to fold.

Overall, i like the line and the bet on the river. I think the turn call is pretty marginal depending on what your plan was if a club arrived on the river-all in?

Sorry for slightly muddled analysis here, in a bit of a rush...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:15 AM

personally I dont like this hand too much, I rarely, if ever play this preflop, but thats just my style. I like the call on the flop, a smooth call might scare your opponent a little, and pot odds tell you to call. Id probably fold to the turn bet, you could be drawing dead as the bb could have a wide range of hands and already have a full house. Your really only hoping that u have 8 outs bc i think u fold to a continuation bet on the river if a 4/5 hit. I would just call on the river, the only hand that u get a call from that u can beat is trip 6s and the guy might insta call an all in with a full house which is very possible betting every street.