Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Wynn 10k Poker Classic Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By WA/WB I meant your hand has showdown value, and you're never getting a better hand to laydown here and I don't think there are too many hands you beat that he is calling you here with if you were to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you think a bare 6 is a big part of his range?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking there was a raise PF, so disregard my reads above.

Still, I don't think you're getting paid off by worse hands. A bare 6 might be part of his range with limping, moreso than overpairs, so you can disregard most chances of him having an overpair and calling your bet here as I was thinking before.

So it still remains the same problem. He's not calling with a worse hand very often. You're getting stacked by a better hand every time. Call.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 AM

Considering he's the big blind in a limped pot, I think a 6 is a big part of his range here.

While I like a flatcall, pushing all in representing a busted flush draw will likely get a call from the 6 and I think the risk/reward makes it worthwhile.

If you raise to any other amount and get re-raised, you're crippled and in a tough spot knowing you're beat.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:08 AM

Unless you really sold the flush draw with the quick call on the turn, I think he folds... What does he put you on if he calls with a bare 6. Unless you put out some donkish minbet, I don't see a bare 6 calling a RR on this board with this action. If you did RR, you have to fold to him pushing back.

One thing is for sure, he won't put you on the bottom end of the straight if you raise.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 AM

Justin,
What were your thoughts when he only 1/2 potted the turn?

Do you think that his small bet was intended to keep draws and midpairs in the hand, or was it intended to look like a blocking bet so that he could three-bet over your bluff raise when you had a midpair or clubs? Obviously both are possible but what was your gut feeling here?

As far as you know did this guy have any idea who you are?

-Steve
Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 AM

i think not shoving here is a pretty bad mistake

you have the only hand in your range that he's behind. your hand looks a lot like some kind of goofy limped 88-JJ preflop. if you call the turn bet though, he cant expect you to be folding the river that often, so his suddenly small (3k into almost 8k) bet is really weird and might be one of those weak-because-i'm-weak (as in naked trips) bets as opposed to omg-cant-let-him-get-away-from-JJ or something.

basically, a flop c/r with 66/76 is really weird, and people just dont underbet the pot that bad when they river a boat (if he had 86). so that leaves 62 and while it's certainly possible, it's a weird line to take with it with the flop c/r and the small bets.

i just dont see him being able to fold Q6/K6/A6 after playing so weird.

FWIW though, i'm really not crazy about the turn call. if it was something like a T or a J that could add extra FE on a river bluff, I wouldn't mind. but on such a blank card, meh.

edit: i'm basing a lot of my decision on the fact that based on this play, he seems to not be the best player. if he knows who you are though, and that you're not limping overpairs to the flop preflop, or that you're never raising the river with anything that trips beat (besides air obv), than i'm just calling river. basically, this guy seems to suck, so i'm treating him like he sucks by overvaluing a medium-strength hand.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Justin,

Do you think that his small bet was intended to keep draws in the hand or was it intended to look like a blocking bet so that he could three-bet over your bluff raise when you had a midpair or clubs? Obviously both are possible but what was your feeling here if you had to interpret the bet?

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I think when he makes that bet, he wants call. However, it could be a typical live donkish underbet, or maybe it was a donk blocking bet.

He knew I was a "pro" of some sort because Gigabet and I were talking about my photoshoot for Bluff magazine that's going to be on the cover.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 AM

I feel like your draw has very little value. The board is paired, there are clubs, so you don't know if any of your straight outs are clean. I feel like reraising flop is better than calling flop and calling turn. It prevents him from continuing a bluff on turn, will probably lead him to lay down a draw, and may even lead him to lay down a 6. However, if he 4 bets you on the flop, either he has air or a boat, so there really is no loss if he 4-bets you off your pretty crappy draw. I think there is very little chance he 4-bets you w/ a bare 6.

I would normally lay down to the flop c/r instead of calling to hit. However, I'm guessing you were planning on winning the pot unimproved sometimes, either by repping a boat/flush(if it comes in), or because you thought he was FOS.

I only like the flop call if you think you can win the pot unimproved a good% of the time, if you're calling to hit, I think the flop call is awful. Same thing for turn.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like your draw has very little value. The board is paired, there are clubs, so you don't know if any of your straight outs are clean. I feel like reraising flop is better than calling flop and calling turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like something out of Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold'em.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Justin,

Do you think that his small bet was intended to keep draws in the hand or was it intended to look like a blocking bet so that he could three-bet over your bluff raise when you had a midpair or clubs? Obviously both are possible but what was your feeling here if you had to interpret the bet?

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I think when he makes that bet, he wants call. However, it could be a typical live donkish underbet, or maybe it was a donk blocking bet.

He knew I was a "pro" of some sort because Gigabet and I were talking about my photoshoot for Bluff magazine that's going to be on the cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I've thought about it, push. Immediately, no hesitation. Well, maybe hesitate for a little effect.

As 0evg0 eluded to, if you aren't getting all your chips in after hitting this hand, why else are you drawing to it? This is about as bare of a hand as you can have and hit your draw, so unless you were planning on taking it with air very often you have to push here.

Hope he calls with a 6 or maybe overpair thinking you missed your club draw.

If you aren't getting paid on hitting this, then there wasn't much value in the way you played it up until now. Why puss out on the river? Get your chips in like you planned on if you hit.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 AM

Also, just call river. His range is like 6x/boat/bluff (ehh, I guess 9T/54 are somewhat possible), and you don't know if he's capable of 3-bet bluffing you (unlikely, but still possible given description), and you don't know if he'll call you w/ a 6 if you raise.