Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: phydaux\'s PBP - Confessions of a uNL grinder

[ QUOTE ]
My FR NL pre-flop strategy includes limping/calling from middle position with a wide range of speculative hands

[/ QUOTE ]

works well at nl10, gets worse each level you move up

[ QUOTE ]
Also, many of the times when I raised from the Hi-Jack, counting on position and aggression to see me through the hand, I found myself called by the Cut Off or the Button. And suddenly I was playing from out of position in a raised pot with a marginal holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

remember your hand only matters at showdown, and while you don't have position, you still have initiative

also most hands miss most flops, so often the first person to bet wins these pots

[ QUOTE ]
TPTK seems to be the "pivot" hand. Unless they are very weak (and many uNL players are), most players won't call Turn & River bets unless they can beat TPTK. This is why hands that beat two pair (the most common hand that beats TPTK), hands like sets & flopped straights, are so powerful. That's also why monster draws are so powerful when stacks are 100BB or more, and why you should bet big and punish bad opponents for trying to chase their draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO TPTK is quite often underrated on here, same goes for overpairs
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Excellent post, phydaux!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 PM

A great post on position for new uNL players, and a great refresher for all.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post. It deserves a reward, pm me about a new undertitle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go, Bottom Feeder.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM

One thing I don't think I've ever seen anyone articulate about position....

Having position against an aggressive and particularly a good aggressive player is much more important than against a bad or passive player.

OOP against a station is not such a big deal. He's still calling you down all the way if you're strong enough to be betting. If he ever raises you still know he has a monster. And if you have some marginal hand you can usually still see a cheap showdown. Yes, you'd rather have position on him, but he's not going to use position to his advantage very often and force you to make hard decisions.

OOP against a LAG, maniac or even a strong TAG is where you get punished. This is where they bet until you fold. Unless you're trapping or have decided in advance to felt you're in for a world of pain. In fact in these situations, unless you're drawing and taking advantage of implied odds, you pretty much need to decided on the flop if you're calling up to 3 PSB's or not. If not, you should fold now. No point in calling the flop and turn if you're just going to fold the river when you know villain is 3-barreling every time, not matter what.

Bottom line, the better the opponent and the more aggressive the opponent the more vital position becomes.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great post. It deserves a reward, pm me about a new undertitle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go, Bottom Feeder.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me really [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Nice choice...I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] it!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM

position is overrated
Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
position is overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

learn to play donk
Old 09-07-2007, 07:06 PM

VNP-As a currently losing uNL player w/ only about 4000 hands, position (along w/ NL Implied Odds) has been the most difficult concept to grasp.

I especially have problems when I'm in late position and face a raise to my right. I am now in the worst relative position I can be in. How should this affect hand requirements & how can I regain the initiative?

Thank you for your wisdom and ability to share it.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Great post over all, but I thought the following part was golden:

[ QUOTE ]
Also, many of the times when I raised from the Hi-Jack, counting on position and aggression to see me through the hand, I found myself called by the Cut Off or the Button. And suddenly I was playing from out of position in a raised pot with a marginal holding.

This lead me to the first adjustment I made to my game. I realized that late position is actually later than I initially thought. Stars FR NL tables are 9-handed. Once you remove the button & the blinds, that leaves six seats. Initially, I divided these six into three neat pairs. UTG & UTG+1 were both Early Position, the next two seats were Middle Position, and the Cut Off & Hi Jack were both Late Position. This was neat and easy to remember, but it was utterly wrong-headed.

I now consider the first three seats after the blinds to all be Early Position. The Hi Jack and one seat to his left are Middle Position. The only seats I consider Late Position are the Button and the Cut Off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to expound a little bit on why the CO is so much better than the Hijack. There's only a one seat difference between the CO and HJ, so at first glance it might seem that the value of these two positions is similar. That is just dead wrong. When you are in the CO, there is only one player left to act after you. In the Hijack, there are two players left to act after you. So, you are TWICE as likely to get called and have to play the hand OOP when you raise from the Hijack as you are when you raise from the CO.

I know it seems pretty obvious, but I never thought about it in those terms until I read your post. Thanks for the insight.