Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 AM

Default can\'t install xp on sata drive

I bought a new Seagate SATA drive and I'm trying to install XP on it. I install the drivers from a floppy during install, but after the first part of setup (when you reboot), my computer just goes back to the beginning of XP setup again. So I go like this:

1)Begin XP setup
2)Install SATA drives/specify drive formatting
3)restart
4)Begin XP setup

Anybody have a clue why this is happening? I manually changed the boot order to have my HDD be ahead of my cdrom drive, and I got a disk read error. This is pretty much the limits of my modest computer tech abilities, so I'd love to hear any suggestions for other things to try. My mobo is an epox 9NDA3J

EDIT: I have a jumper in the drive where it's supposed to be so it'll work w/ my mobo.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: can\'t install xp on sata drive

take the XP disc out of the drive when you restart.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 AM

I've tried that - my computer does and endless cycle of POSTing and restarting when it is time for the HDD to boot.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:44 AM

Hmm you shouldn't have to touch any jumpers on the HD or install any drivers to get windows XP installed on a sata HD.

1) Install the HD.
2) Put in the Win XP CD.
3) Set your BIOS to boot off the CD.
4) Don't hit any F keys, just format the drive (in setup) and off you go.

When it's done, remove the CD.

If you fooled around with jumpers on the HD make absolutely sure it's in the same spot it was when you first got the drive.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 AM

SATA drives are plug and play - you shouldnt need to install any drivers for the first part as XP should detect the drives and use generic drivers. that is my experience anyway. all the setup and formatting is done within the xp setup program, you dont need any external programs or drivers.

i think also that you have your boot order wrong, you need to boot from the cd first, not the HDD. keep the bios set to boot from the cd until the whole installation is complete.

like the above poster said, you shouldnt have to mess with any jumpers or anything. make sure your cables are plugged in correctly and that your jumpers are as they were, and i think you should be okay...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 PM

No jumpers? The manual says that I'd have to put a jumper on the drive if my mobo chipset is one that's incompatible with a 3.0GB/s transfer rate (it is). There were no jumpers on the driver to start; I just had to add one (not inclued - thanks seagate).

ama - my normal boot order is cd then hdd, but I changed it out of trial and error [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I tried the installation before (many times) without using the drivers, that doesn't work either.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Is there something I have to do in my BIOS? I can't find anything anywhere about activating my drive or turning off RAID. I know my computer recognizes the drive.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM

FYI just tried again with no jumper installed in the drive and no F6, and I still do the endless cycle of restarts.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:23 PM

read the last post

found this on another site.

"For those reading this post with the same problem, what we did was unplug most devices from the back of the computer (printers, scanner, usb devices). Then we went to the BIOS setting and deactivated all on-motherboard hardware, such as on-board sound card, graphics card, usb devices, etc.

When we resumed setup, it completed setup and finally started the Windows desktop. All of our files were still there, and we did not have any other problems. We went back to the BIOS settings, reactivated the devices, and plugged everything back in. No problems!"
Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Are you using a SATA controller?

I googled and came across this:
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t157...rct-a-hdd.html

It might be the problem (and just happened at a strange time).

Edit:
http://www.hostingforum.ca/105334-ca...r-boot-up.html

This link above looks like it's exactly your problem. Too bad there isn't a resolution. I'd start googling heavily, you'll probably find a solution.