Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Lol Hellmuthaments

[ QUOTE ]
Of course Phil blabbered back to me about what I needed to become a good poker player, and someone at another table overheard.

He turned his chair to Phil and loudly asked him, “You don’t know who that is, do you!? That’s internet legend ZeeJustin Bonomo!”

Another nearby table joined in and started making fun of both Phil and me at the same time. “That’s internet whiz kid Justin Bonomo! He’s won every tournament online!” Four or five different people started listing off my resume to Phil, but it just went in one ear and out the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were all those people at the other tables you?

(sorry had to do it good story)
Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ZJ sued party and got all his money back. He didn't lose a damn thing for cheating. This post will be deleted as soon as the mods see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone put on their jealousy hat today
Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The following is copy/pasted from my blog about day 3 of the 25k Bellagio WPT Main event:

Later in the day, I got moved to Phil Hellmuth’s table. I folded everything in my first orbit. In the second orbit, some guy raised, I called with 87s, another guy moved all-in, and the first raiser folded. I was getting like 2.3-1 to call, meaning I only have to win the hand around 31% of the time for a call to be profitable, so I called. The all-in had AQo, and I won the 40/60.

“Eight seven suited?!” exclaimed Phil. “You called an all-in with eight high?!”

I gave my typical vague response which was, “I dunno… there was just so much money in the pot.”

Phil berated me even more. “I don’t know where these guys come from that call all ins with eight seven suited.”

I jokingly responded, “We can’t all be Phil Hellmuths.” The whole table (Phil included) had a laugh at that.

However, that really set Phil off.

I didn’t think there were many “spots” at the table, so I was playing my relatively tight straightforward game. In one hand, Phil made a standard raise from MP1, and I called in the cutoff with 77. The flop came 954, Phil checked, and I bet 2/3 of the pot. Phil folded.

Standard boring hand, right? Wrong! It took about six minutes the way it played out.

After I bet, Phil started talking to me. “Did you hit that flop?”

I didn’t answer.

“I have a big hand kid. I don’t think you hit this flop.” A minute later: “You look like one of those kids that’s just gonna blow up and hand all his chips to me.”

“You know kid, sometimes I bet the flop, and sometimes I check. I don’t check because I’m weak. I check because I want to see you bet, and then I decide what to do. Sometimes I raise, sometimes I just call, and sometimes I’ll even fold! That’s what great players do.”

Anyway, after his blabbering, he finally folded face down.

For the rest of the time we were at the same table, every time I raised, he gave me some lecture about patience and what not. “You’ll never go deep in one of these things, because you don’t have any patience.”

The last thing I wanted was to have a loose image while Phil had a tight one, so I pointed out the obvious. “The funny thing is that you’ve been playing twice as many hands as me.” Phil ignored the observation.

The guy to my right said something to the lines of, “Every one of these events, two or three complete maniacs make the final table. You don’t need patience.”

Of course Phil blabbered back to me about what I needed to become a good poker player, and someone at another table overheard.

He turned his chair to Phil and loudly asked him, “You don’t know who that is, do you!? That’s internet legend ZeeJustin Bonomo!”

Another nearby table joined in and started making fun of both Phil and me at the same time. “That’s internet whiz kid Justin Bonomo! He’s won every tournament online!” Four or five different people started listing off my resume to Phil, but it just went in one ear and out the other.

I decided to remain quiet. I actually didn’t want Phil thinking I was a good player. I was perfectly happy having him think I was one of those kids that was just gonna hand him all my chips. He was even making predictions about how many chips I would give him (250,000 was his estimate) and how long it would take (15 miuntes).

After everyone told him my resume, I don’t think his opinion of me changed. “Look guys. They’ve brought half a dozen ‘internet legends’ like this kid to me before, and they’ve all gone broke within two years. Why is this kid gonna be any different?”

Lol Phil Hellmuthaments.

Sadly, he got moved to another table shortly after, and we never had a chance to really tangle.

Edit: FWIW, I was actually impressed by his tournament game. I've played cash games w/ him before (where he's VERY weak). He had a good loose style in the tournament, and I think all his chatter actually successfully discouraged people from playing back at him, and also helped him gain information about how people were playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at one of the tables in the vicinity (maybe even at THAT table). This story is about 68% true. Close but not quite. While I'm sure Justin wishes that 4-5 people from any random table could spout his internet resume the truth is, if he's lucky, 4-5 can easily recite Justin's notorious record for other things he's famous for online, and that's about it...The truth is that nobody knows what his online 'resume' really consists of. There was nobody there spouting off his resume, no heroes from the other table coming to his rescue, nobody was ganging up on Phil. I also don't specifically recall anybody saying anything about 'internet legend justin bonomo'. I do recall one guy at the table mentioning something along the lines of 'That kid has won a bunch of stuff online,' to which Phil replied something similar to what Zee said. The truth is Justin kept his earphones in most of the time and said hardly a peep. He was clearly intimidated by Phil, and there was no sh-t talking going on from everybody coming to save Justin. Like I said, Justin's story is close but not quite accurate, but then again, what could we expect from him.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Just to clear up what I typed earlier... Justin wasn't necessarily intimidated by Phil's play, but it was clear that Justin wasn't AT ALL interested in getting into a verbal argument against Phil. I didn't hear him say ANYTHING in response to Phil's jabs. Perhaps a sly (and I do mean SLY) smile every now and again, and that's about it.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 AM

ZJ's approach here (not getting into a verbal sparring contest) was the best, since Phil is all of these things that Justin describes--annoying to deal with, capable of getting in your head despite trying to defend against that, and really really good at NL poker tournaments.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

After everyone told him my resume, I don’t think his opinion of me changed. “Look guys. They’ve brought half a dozen ‘internet legends’ like this kid to me before, and they’ve all gone broke within two years. Why is this kid gonna be any different?”

[/ QUOTE ]
Phill Hellmuth has busted a million europeans (said so himself), so why should he be afraid of half a dozen internet legends??
Old 05-03-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ZJ's approach here (not getting into a verbal sparring contest) was the best, since Phil is all of these things that Justin describes--annoying to deal with, capable of getting in your head despite trying to defend against that, and really really good at NL poker tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, that's why him keeping his headphones in and his mouth shut was the best course of action.
*edit sh-t i typed that isn't even worth it
Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is the guys is a character.

And I for one enjoy his shenanigans; its like a Will Farrell routine, never gets old.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, I think most people will agree that Phil on HSP was awesome regardless of the play..
Old 05-03-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is the guys is a character.

And I for one enjoy his shenanigans; its like a Will Farrell routine, never gets old.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, I think most people will agree that Phil on HSP was awesome regardless of the play..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is the best poker related stuff I've seen on TV.