Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Property and water rights?

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. First, states have already weaponized germs and chemicals (like ours at one point). Second, the existance of a state doesn't preclude people from knowing how to build an "ebola bomb". So yeah, not very good arguments against a free society.

[/ QUOTE ]

BCPVP, of course the state doens't totally prevent it, but it's a little silly to conclude that NRCs and the like don't help keep bombs out of madmen's hands. By a small margin, sure, but in a 100% free market society, it's likely to be easier.

Cody
Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lol. First, states have already weaponized germs and chemicals (like ours at one point). Second, the existance of a state doesn't preclude people from knowing how to build an "ebola bomb". So yeah, not very good arguments against a free society.

[/ QUOTE ]

BCPVP, of course the state doens't totally prevent it, but it's a little silly to conclude that NRCs and the like don't help keep bombs out of madmen's hands. By a small margin, sure, but in a 100% free market society, it's likely to be easier.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no way to keep bombs out of madmen's hands unless you lock everyone up or put 24-hour surveillance of everyone. And in light of recent events, it doesn't really seem like a great idea to put all of our trust in the government to ferret out NBC programs...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way to keep bombs out of madmen's hands unless you lock everyone up or put 24-hour surveillance of everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, but that wasn't the point.

Cody
Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way to keep bombs out of madmen's hands unless you lock everyone up or put 24-hour surveillance of everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Jogger's assertion seemed to be that it would be somehow easier to make a biological weapon in a free society. Seems like a non sequitor to me. A biological weapon is really either a weapon for wartime or a political weapon used to threaten territories. Since a free society probably isn't going to go to total war and there won't be a "state" to threaten, worrying about biological weapons seems pretty foolish. It seems all the more foolish when the status quo already has NBC weapons developed by states to threaten other states.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, as evidenced by

[ QUOTE ]
but hey man, bleeding from the eyes or not, at least we'll be free.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only point was to antogonize ACists.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Jogger's assertion seemed to be that it would be somehow easier to make a biological weapon in a free society. Seems like a non sequitor to me. A biological weapon is really either a weapon for wartime or a political weapon used to threaten territories. Since a free society probably isn't going to go to total war and there won't be a "state" to threaten, worrying about biological weapons seems pretty foolish. It seems all the more foolish when the status quo already has NBC weapons developed by states to threaten other states.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who needs a state to threaten? Want to annex the adjacent land but the pesky owners get in the way? Send them a little Hanta virus.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who needs a state to threaten? Want to annex the adjacent land but the pesky owners get in the way? Send them a little Hanta virus.

[/ QUOTE ]
And of course we all know that states are above using NBC weapons on others...
Old 07-28-2007, 06:40 AM

In large part they are above using NBC weapons. The only ruler who has used them since WWII is Saddam.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:13 PM

There are no courts/judges in AC land. Quite simply possession becomes ten tenths of the law. When anarco-capitalism has been praticed - and it has and still is in some places, it's called feudalism - if my army is better than yours, your property is mine if I decide to take it. Just because AC'ers believe thay can devise a system where no King/Emperor/Whatever will rise shows the basic idiocy of their world. Once you solve the problem of maintaining possession your problem becomes keeping the masses in perpetual servitude. All feudalistic societies have used religion, it's pretty good but obviously, ultimately flawed.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are no courts/judges in AC land. Quite simply possession becomes ten tenths of the law. When anarco-capitalism has been praticed - and it has and still is in some places, it's called feudalism - if my army is better than yours, your property is mine if I decide to take it. Just because AC'ers believe thay can devise a system where no King/Emperor/Whatever will rise shows the basic idiocy of their world. Once you solve the problem of maintaining possession your problem becomes keeping the masses in perpetual servitude. All feudalistic societies have used religion, it's pretty good but obviously, ultimately flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]