Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: do you chamber pot?
yes sah 3 33.33%
no sah 4 44.44%
nummy in my tummy 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Weekly/Hrs Poll

[ QUOTE ]
No sick grinders yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

too busy playing to post
Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 PM

i prolly play 50+ hours a week and make no monies, wtf [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No sick grinders yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

too busy playing to post

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in BBV is too busy posting in BBV to play.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 AM

The question is how much do you make. "Good monies" is relative. I used to play more then I do now and made $250k in a year playin 5-10 cash. Id go out and party and [censored] too which I regret as the games are much tougher now.

I've experienced a couple opportunities in life. My first was the stock market IPO boom. I was in highscool and had the ability to buy 100 shares of these IPOs. They would be listed anytime between 5-8pm. It was a first come first serve basis so you literally had to sit there and click refresh on the browser if you wanted a chance to get shares and they would only last for maybe 3 minutes. These shares were pretty much guranteed to double upon the opening the next day. The first one I got in was PCLN which I got the IPO at $18 and it opened at $84 the next day.. sold for $144 a month later. I picked up a couple other as well. One thing was.......

I was a soccer player and had soccer pratice from 6-8. So many days I went to practice and missed out on IPOs. There was probably a 15% chance an IPO would be released on any given day. So I wasn't exactly going to sit home and miss practice only to see that nothing was released. Well when i did end up missing them it cost me thousands in potential profits. I was young and in my head I though.. well I'll just get the next one. Thinking it would go on forever. Well the bubble burst and it was all over. From that point on I realized when an opportunity arrizes you need to pound the [censored] out of it, bceause it won't last long.

I pounded online poker about 80% of what I possibly could last year so i don't regret much. I was making a ton of money and knew I needed to keep doing so. Sure enough they shut down neteller some sites and the easy money ain't so easy.

I'm rambling now but maybe someone learned sumtin form this post. GET IT WHILE YOU GOT IT!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No sick grinders yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

too busy playing to post

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in BBV is too busto to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-24-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm rambling now but maybe someone learned sumtin form this post. GET IT WHILE YOU GOT IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is true, however is 'Getting it' worth the lifestyle trade off? How many hours is too many? How much effort is too much?

These are the answers I am looking for here, remember many of us are still young and even for those of us who aren't, our time i.e with family, friends etc is still valuable.

Money contrary to popular belief does not equal happiness.

JT
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 AM

I play like 10-15 per week, I'm pretty lazy. Wish I could play more but it gets boring and my play suffers. Also I don't let myself play when I am tired/drunk so that cuts in as well. Easy money I guess but I still enjoy the challenge of trying to move up in stakes/outplaying people, etc.

"But poker is different, it is much harder to have a support network poker, it seems it is a very individualistic pursuit. It also seem to be very consuming. I myself am 22 and play quite alot? Am I wasting the prime of my life? Do others ask the same questions?"

I think about this sometimes but then I look at my friends who work dead end minimum wage jobs and smoke pot 3 times a day and are doing nothing productive at all. Playing poker is more productive then it seems, its good to continuously challenge yourself. Everybody is different but I'm 19 and if I wasn't playing poker, I'd be just like the rest of my friends so I'm pretty happy with myself.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play like 10-15 per week, I'm pretty lazy. Wish I could play more but it gets boring and my play suffers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand how some people are playing 10-15 hrs per week when its there only source of income, either you play very high or you don't really make much?

Or is this type of player balancing another form of income like stocks or another casual job??

JT
Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play like 10-15 per week, I'm pretty lazy. Wish I could play more but it gets boring and my play suffers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand how some people are playing 10-15 hrs per week when its there only source of income, either you play very high or you don't really make much?

Or is this type of player balancing another form of income like stocks or another casual job??

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I go to school "full time" so poker is my only source of income. I play 1/2-2/4 NL and I 6 table so I do get hands in, just not a lot of hours. Sorry if the OP meant professional players only (read: out of school).
Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM

I play maybe 20 hours a week cos I'm lazy and don't really enjoy the game anymore. I try to put in my hours only when I have a really big edge (I don't like downswings) and sometimes that means staying awake the whole night waiting for that last whale on my tables to go busto. My sleeping schedule can get really erratic because of this. A tradeoff I'm not sure I wan't to make anymore.