Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 PM

Default If Hillary wins the nomination would Obama accept a VP?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: If Hillary wins the nomination would Obama accept a VP?

I really have no idea on this. I am sure Hillary would prefer someone closer to Clintons but I think she wants to win badly enough to where she would compromise if she thought that it greatly altered her chances of winning.

For Obama I think he only accepts it if he thinks that it will increase his chances of being president one day. Which means he would have quite alot riding on Hillary and her performance in the election and if elected in office.

Also how good of a chance would this ticket have against the repubs?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 PM

I think Obama would be open to being VP, but I think Gore would be much more likely to making him a deal for the VP slot than Clinton.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 PM

If she offered it I 100% guarantee you he'd accept.

First, it's very rare for someone to decline.

Second, the reason Obama ran so early in his career is because if a Dem wins the Presidency (likely) then after an 8 year administration (also likely, based on history) then 8 years from now the Vice President would be very likely to get the nomination (again, strong historical precedent for this).

So essentially he had to run now, or probably not get another chance til 12-16 years from now.

If he accepts the V.P. slot, it'll probably be 8 years til he gets his shot, and he gets to avoid those ambiguous Senate votes which are such a liability for a Presidential campaign (I think the last Senator to win the Presidency was JFK).

Often a candidate will run for a nomination with one of their goals being proving to the eventual nominee that they can campaign well (withstand national exposure, etc.)

Anyway I'm rambling.

As far as Hillary asking him to be the V.P., I do not think she will, because I believe Wes Clark has been her choice for a long time now.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as Hillary asking him to be the V.P., I do not think she will, because I believe Wes Clark has been her choice for a long time now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't Obama help Hillary enough to where she would really need to take him. I might be overestimating this but I feel like short of someone who could win her Texas or something ridiculous he is by far the best in terms of helping her electibility. You make good points for why he would accept if asked though. I guess the only reason I can think of why he woulddn't take it is if he thinks that Hillary would not get re-elected due to poor performance or not win the the first place. Both of these are possible but require too much foresight into the future.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Al Gore/Obama ticket. PLEASEE.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 AM

Do you think a Hillary / Obama ticket is a garunteed win for the democrats?

I would see that as a very hard pairing to beat... Hillary has the support of the big democrat states, and I think Obama would get Illinois and other mid western states to follow along...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 AM

I dont see any possible way she asks Obama to be Veep. Vilsack, Clark and Bayh along with other DLC folks are ahead of him there.

Obama would have to come very close to winning the nomination in order for her to pick him over them.

If she did ask, he would say yes.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM

To get back at Bill, Hillary will grab the canckles for Obama, and let Bill know he "was better than an intern"
Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I think Obama would get Illinois

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you think his home state that elected him to the Senate with like 2483% of the vote would probably vote for him on a presidential ticket?

Also, the midwest historically doesn't follow Illinois, which is by far the most liberal state there. Indiana couldn't be more opposite of Illinois...Iowa always does its own thing...Nebraska and Kansas are extremely conservative...Minnesota is pretty liberal of its own accord and Wisconsin, Missouri, and Michigan are usually swing states (though Michigan has gone blue the last 4 prez elections, I believe).

But if the Dems have to nominate Obama to something in order to win Illinois, then the election is already over.