Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Moving Up Question (Dont know where to post)

I have $280 and have been playing 10NL. Would it be OK for me to play 25NL unless I drop to say $210? Would this be smart in that I will have over 20 BIs at my lower level?

PS-I apologize for making this its own post but couldnt find a good thread for it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Moving Up Question (Dont know where to post)

If you are beating 10nl steadily and are willing to drop down, go for it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 PM

If you are beating 10NL for a decent rate, it shouldn't take you that long to get to a full 20 buy-ins for 25NL. Move up at $500, drop down if you lose enough to hit $375 and work your way back up to $500. This is a pretty aggressive but functional bankroll strategy.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 PM

Adding on to al money's post, if you ffeel comfortable with the stakes you're playing at then fine. Definitely be prepared to move back down though because 25nl is a completely different game. Also, read some of the stickied posts about hand reading, baluga theory, and esspecially the threads on moving up.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are beating 10nl steadily and are willing to drop down, go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent played for a month before last week but was beating it easy over the summer. When I moved up it seemed like KK ran into AA every hand if you know what I mean, so I didn't have a prolonged stay at 25NL. I think I am plus about 70BIs the past 5 months at 10NL and -10BIs at 25NL. The play is no different it seems, am I right about that?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adding on to al money's post, if you ffeel comfortable with the stakes you're playing at then fine. Definitely be prepared to move back down though because 25nl is a completely different game. Also, read some of the stickied posts about hand reading, baluga theory, and esspecially the threads on moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what aspects is 25NL different than 10NL? It seemed like more idiots if anything, tbh. Lot looser players, seriously.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 PM

I would assume the play is at least somewhat similar, though I haven't played that low in over a year and a half.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In what aspects is 25NL different than 10NL? It seemed like more idiots if anything, tbh. Lot looser players, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

The differences are basically the same that you will get every time you move up in stakes. There is a slightly larger amount of preflop aggression, you will run into semi-bluffs a bit more, and on average people require a slightly better hand to stack of with than the previous level. This is why I suggested the 20 buy-in for moving up and dropping down after you hit what would be 15 buy-ins for the level you just moved up to. Basically, if you have trouble adjusting to the new level you won't spend that long at it, but will move down to the previous level rather quickly. As you bounce back and forth between them each level becomes a bit easier since as you gradually adjust to the increase in difficulty at the new level the skills you gain during that adjustment make the lower level easier to beat. Next thing you know, you are robusto at the new stakes and are on your way to doing it all over again soon.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 PM

All good advice, and thanks. I think tommorow, after school and some rest I will 3 table 25NL and see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 PM

Wait until 350 IMO. What I used to do is open up 3 10NL tables and throw in a 25NL table. Just to get used to it at first. Then ween yourself off of the 10NL tables as you get more and more comfortable. I wouldn't play 25NL with < 300$ roll. If you run a little below expectation, it can be psychologically tough to drop back down to 10NL where 5 buy-ins = 2 25NL buyins. Good luck with your transition.
Closed Thread