Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-22-2007, 12:44 AM

Default $400 PLO8 on stars....am i just far to AgRo

am i just far to over the top in my aggression???

i am on the button with a-2-j-t... with a-j being of heart..
there were 3 limps infront of me and i raise is to $18 i really do love that number, ive also noticed that i have been raising, while not much more, still more then anyone else on the table.... all limpers and BB--who becames the villan calls making the pot $92. my stack is $500 and villian covers me.

flop comes t-k-4 with two hearts... Now the villian, whom is a decent player, my poker tracker says he wins 2.2BB/100 at these stakes... bet out $22 everyone else folds... My first question is.. what does this bet mean... in holdem ive noticed this is almost always a blocker bet with a weak to moderate holding, do u guys think its the same here??? this is how i read it, so i went for the semi bluff, and raised it to $100, hoping that he would fold, but if not, i still have my nut flush draw, mid pair, running low draw and gut shot to the nuts, not the worst of holdings. IS this just to spewy, should i just call here?? is he setting a trap hoping i raise him, with something like aces then he traps me with a set of somekind...either way he just calls.

Turn comes a blank 6, giving me the nut low draw as well.... he bets out another ridiculasly small amount, $36..... whats do u guys do now... i went with my original read that he was still blocker betting,so i went for the semibluff again and i re-raised pot... what do u guys think of that move... to over the top... whats your line here????

advice on all streaks appreciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Re: $400 PLO8 on stars....am i just far to AgRo

GaZaZaZa - I'm primarily a fixed-limit Omaha-8 player rather than a pot-limit player. Thus my considerations for betting are naturally somewhat different than a pot-limit player's considerations.

However, I think the kind of hand that fits well with this particular flop is the same for pot-limit as for fixed-limit.

I discussed a flop very similar to this flop in this current month's on-line 2+2 magazine.

To gain insight as to what types of hands go well or best with this flop, if you already don't know, you might gain insight by reading about case 21 in the magazine article. And you may gain better insight as to how good your own hand is, relative to some possible hands an opponent who knows the game and is probably not bluffing may hold. But of course, since I do not know your opponent, I cannot tell you exactly what cards your opponent holds, in order to logically bet as he/she is betting.

I don't want to discuss the article or my thoughts related to such flops as this one in this forum, but I'll discuss the article and related thoughts in the space provided in the 2+2 Magazine Forum (located at the top of the list of forums). Or maybe it's clear enough so that there are no questions.

In reading your post, it occurred to me that the article might provide some insight, even though it's written primarily with fixed-limit play in mind.

Buzz
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 AM

Players who consistently make tiny blocking bets are in general, extremely bad players, and tend not to fold ANYTHING to bluffs/semibluffs.

Although semi-bluffing the flop is good, this villain is stubborn and I'll just take the cheap turn card.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 AM

Thats fair enough Buzz,,, and i definatly will read that article.. but then for the second part of my question, how did u think i played the hand in general???
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 AM

I don't play a ton of PLO8 but I hang out with some good players and sometimes talk strategy. Anyway, I think you should just make a note and then take the cheaper cards. He's betting less than you would have if he checked so maybe this is a blessing in disguise; you know he's probably donking when you hit and you can pot it and get a call.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 AM

I'm playing this hand exactly like you did in this spot. A-2-J-10 (especially if you've got the suit) is my absolute favorite, favorite hand to make moves like this with. The call on the flop and raise on the turn are probably your best bets here - if you re-raise the flop, you risk him coming back over the top and then you have an actual decision to make (though you're probably not laying it down for the nut flush draw).

There are very few turn cards that can scare you - only the board pairing and perhaps one of the remaining deuces. The check-raise here is best possible play. You may not be ahead now, but no doubt you're favored for taking at least half the pot. Assuming he just calls and has a set or something; if the board doesn't pair and the deuce that's not a heart hits, you've gotten super unlucky and there's not much else you can do about it.

EDIT: Wow, apparently I'm disagreeing with everyone. I love the raise on the turn, is there any way you're not favored for half the pot here?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The check-raise here is best possible play.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's in position, villain made an off-tempo bet.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but then for the second part of my question, how did u think i played the hand in general???

[/ QUOTE ]

GaZaZaZa - I would play it approximately the same as you. But keep in mind there are much better pot-limit Omaha-8 players than I am who post here.

Buzz
Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Wow, apparently I'm disagreeing with everyone. I love the raise on the turn, is there any way you're not favored for half the pot here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right. I just checked twodimes and I was initially severely mistaken.

Pound the turn for value.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 AM

Well played. If you want to do something differently, you might want to call the flop and raise the turn (but I prefer your line).

I would bluff-bet any river which pairs. I put him on str8+flushdraw.